Does your mono-main line get fryed a bit after each Lake-O salmon fight?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guys,

I left work early yesterday to check out one of the east trubs.

I could not belive what I saw.

The entire creek was packed with salmons

which were too busy to go upstream and were ignoring me drifting hooks at them.

Yes, they are in creeks now if you ask me.

Anyhow, I ended up landing 5 and lost 7,

in which, I consider as a good day (ok, I will post pictures when I get home tomorrow.

crushing at fishing buddy's place for more tomorrow)

However, 3 of 7 were caused by breaking my 12-lb-mono main line which has NEVER

happened to me before (it had always been the leader at swival or at hook eye)

BTW, as suggested by OFC memebers, I went with my 10' heavy-medium rod which

gave me way more backbone power to turn them around than my 13'6 Sheffield Guide Select

What I noticed was that after each fight whether I landed the fish or not,

my main line was kinda fryed a bit. It is like you can tell the line is not as smooth as before

when you run your finger through but not to the point which you know you MUST change the line

I wonder if it is normal or not ... not sure if it is caused by the guides (i checked it with my finger

and Q-tips and didnt find a problem) or is it because I pulled the line too hard during the fight

Any advices

my prefference for fishing for many years now has been spinning gear with mono. I do tonnes of fishing on the Niagara River for trout and salmon, and have caught countless big fish over the years. The river is tough to fish on the best of days, there is tough currents that twist your line, tonnes of rocks that eat your tackle, and you are often battling 10-12 lb steelies..12-20 lb lakers...15-30 lb salmon. I check my line after every snag, and after every fish landed. If I am fishing the river a couple times a week, I would say on average that I change my line at least every 8-10 times out and always respool my line fresh for the beginning of the fall/winter season.

Very nice!

Were you fishing the mouth of the creek or upstream?

I've encountered the same problem fishing the eastern tribs, and found that it was because of zebra muscles. Our hook-up/fish netted ratio was way low, mostly because the fish would take us down and the slightest brush up would end up being a break off.

If there's alot of fish in the tribs, maybe your getting salmon swimming into the line while you have a fish on, which would probably account for your line getting frayed..

Great news though!

cheers

HD