Lake Temagami

ravinerat

Came up with a brilliant idea last night. Talked my wife into a weekend camping at the Provincial Park in Temagami. Thought I'd hit Lake Temagami on Sat then into Net lake ( which we had an island on as a kid) for Sun. I've never fished Lake Temagami and wonder do I have to go far from the PP to get deep water for Lakers. I'd really like to try for some Pike and figure the shoals at dark. Can you get into Cross lake from Temagami. The Topo I have doesn't really show you can. I'd like to head up to where Net and Cross meet to dip a line. Spent may summers on Net when there was a mill there and before the townsite was built. Always wanted to get back there with my so who is now 12. I have seen the original cabin is still there but a beautiful cottage has been built on the island. I've ice fished Diamond and surounding lakes as we've run in by snowmobile. Any info would be great help.

RR

RR

Not sure where Net Lake is but we have crossed from Lake Temagami to Cross Lake, this was in a 18' boat with a 40hp, there are a few shallow spots where you have to pay attention, take your time.

Which Park are you thinking of staying at? as there are about 8 parks in the area. Finlayson Point?

It is about a 30+ km trip, one way, from Finlayson point to the entrance of Cross Lake.

Dan

We're staying at Finlayson Park. I didn't realize it was that far by water. Guess on the snowmobile it never seems far. Net lake is 3 miles north of Temagami at what they call Temagami North. My boat is only a 14' Lund with a 15 hp on it . Doesn't draw much water. Come to think of it it sure likes the rocks in Georgian Bay. What about up near Bear Island for some Pike action?

RR

If you're launching at the town docks it's a 13km ride down to the hub where you'll start to find access to shallower back bays like Kokoko, Spawning and Loon. Decent pike and smallies around the shorelines in those bays. There's deep water just outside the town bay area but it gets worked pretty good for lakers. You'll need a depth map for sure. Fish are deep this time of year.

You could drive down lake temagami access road (18 km) and get right to the hub area. Only a 10 minute boat ride to any of those bays mentioned above. Stop in town at dads tackle and see what's been happening around the area. Dads has lake maps so you can see where you're heading to once you're on the lake. Every year I'm up there I get stopped by a few boaters trying to get somewhere. Up there all the shorelines do look the same if it's your first time on the lake.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm familier with the access road. What's the parking like down there. I remember a lot of private spots and for lodges. Only down there in the winter though. I do have a fishing map but doesn't really have depths on it. Mosly shows shoals by dark areas and such. Beautiful area to canoe.

RR

Hey Don,

you can email me for more specific info on lakers as I just came back from Temagami last week.

But they are there and waiting for your presentation Bud.

Lots of them too and good sizes....

Get a downrigger though,...you'll need it as they are 80-85' down and you need to be in 95-115 fow...deeper than that doesn't work.

Blue and silver is the name of the game. Jim( at Dad's is great guy and will give you good up to date info) but at this point I can do the same for you :thumbsup_anim:

Hundreds of vehicles are parked at the end of the access road so no problem there as it has huge parking lots.

I'd sugges towing your boat to there launch there and go North to Racoon point area......lakers are waiting there ;-)))

Even more of them if you go into Rocky inlet.

I've got the maps and if you want to stop by I can let you use them for your trip....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I'll put all this advice to work guys. I sent you an email Ice. Leaving in a few hours so no time to borrow your maps. I'll stop at Dads and pick up a new map. Everyone enjoy your weekend. This is the first long weekend we have been away in years.

RR