Annual Algonquin Report PART 1 of 3

Ramble

Well everyone I know many a full moon has passed since you have last heard much outa me. I’ve been pretty busy, and a little on the lazy side of things. I have been out on the water a few times and am ready to get back into the swing of things so here we go.

Dad and I did our annual week in Algonquin this summer, Booth Lake area of the park. Due to the amount of rain this year the water levels were extremely high for this point in the summer. The fishing was defiantly different then usual (not in a good way), however we managed to find a few fish. The high rain fall also had another effect of the area. Fungus of all types were rising all over and I saw many species I hadn’t come across previously. This post is going to cover the fishing, but also a plethora of other things we came across while we were up their for the week. Enjoy.

We decided to leave Belleville a little later then usual due to morning rain. When the rain let up, we set out north on 62 for the park. After a brief lunch in Bancroft it was no time until we reached our destination.

Tattler08001.jpg

We piled (literally) our stuff into the canoe and took off down Farm lake into the beautiful August weather. Once we hit the main lake we rigged up our lines and trolled as we went. It seemed like only a few strokes of the paddle later and dad’s rod was doubled over with a nice northern. The fish was healthy and full of spunk. After an excellent fight on the fish’s part dad had the 1st northern of the trip to the boat…a nice chunky 34” er.

Tattler08003.jpg

After the release dad fired the blue/silver Williams C50 back out and we continued on our way. Before reaching the other end of the lake, he was into another northern of respectable size.

Tattler08004.jpg

This fish was considerably thinner, but was two inches longer. She measured in at 36”s.

Tattler08006.jpg

The river up to the 1st portage at Kitty lake, surprising, didn’t produce any fish for us. We weren’t fishing it hard, but the usual methods were not paying off. Part way up the river in a calm bay we came across a couple of locals. They were having a early dinner of white water lilies and didn’t seem to mind a little company as they munched.

Tattler08034.jpg

Tattler08026.jpg

Tattler08031.jpg

We reached the 1st portage, and as tradition dictates…skipped it. I pulled the canoe up the rapids while dad relaxed in the back, offering his usual “words of encouragement”.

Kitty lake was a breeze to paddle as usual, and then we were at the Booth Lake rapids. We had a quick look and decided that the high water wasn’t enough to over ride tradition and passed up the portage to take the watery route yet again.

Tattler08039.jpg

It’s a bit tiring heading up stream against the current, but its more fun, and the water keeps you cool. We took a break at the dam, and then made the 10 foot portage up into Booth. By this point it was overly apparent the weather was changing so we headed for camp with a little fishing on the way.

Tattler08044.jpg

The sun set and clouds made for an impressive evening, and just before reaching camp I managed a descent smallie.

Tattler08046.jpg

After unloading and a bite to eat, we headed out for an evening fish. We found the fishing slow, but with a little work we found some cooperative smallies right around dark.

Tattler08048.jpg

The next day we headed out after a relaxing breakfast. We beelined over to a laker spot and set out jigging to see if we couldn’t find dinner. After about an hour of fooling around, I had a solid hit, then a pair of head shakes but the fish shook loose. More time past as we paddled in the area, and then again I felt a good hit. I set the hook, and backed the drag off a little and started the fight. I took my time as the fish dogged around in the depths. As the fish closed in, the battle became more frantic. I maintained my composure.

About ten feet down the laker crosses into panic mode, and hopelessly and totally wraps itself in about 4 feet of line. Worst wrap job I've seen yet from a laker. After that little display the fish came to the boat quietly. It was a good looking fish, measuring it at the 23 inch mark. It was so nice in fact, we invited it to dinner. She grudgingly accepted our offer.

Tattler08053.jpg

Tattler08055.jpg

With dinner acquired we headed for supper with an after dinner fish in mind after. I don’t have to tell you the trout was DELICIOUS.

We hit the lake after tea and washing the dished. We were both into our top water arsenal. Dad was tossing his new chartreuse popper and I was plugging away with a Baby Torpedo. Top water smallies are a beautiful thing.

Tattler08049.jpg

Tattler08088.jpg

This fish gave me a particularly good soaking.

Tattler08089.jpg

Tattler08090.jpg

We caught several smallies each before calling it a night.

The next day we woke late again, and had another casual breakfast. Being in no rush to do anything I wandered the woods a little with the camera and came across all sorts of things which caught my eye.

White Pine

Tattler08062.jpg

Indian Pipe

Tattler08065.jpg

Tattler08065.jpg

Tattler08081.jpg

Unidentified Fungus

Tattler08096.jpg

Tattler08099.jpg

When I returned to camp. Dad and I decided to go for a hike up the hill in no particular direction, with no particular destination in mind…wherever our curiosity would take us.

We came across more things of interest.

Fungus

Tattler08113.jpg

Tattler08118.jpg

Tattler08122.jpg

More Indian Pipe

Tattler08135.jpg

Tattler08136.jpg

Lichen

Tattler08138.jpg

Moose antler rub from last fall.

Tattler08141.jpg

Raspberries

Tattler08142.jpg

Babbling Brooks

Tattler08144.jpg

Jewel Weed

Tattler08152.jpg

Tattler08155.jpg

and more fungus.

Tattler08162.jpg

Tattler08170.jpg

A few hours of exploring later, and the rain started. So we wandered back to camp and straightened stuff out a little, while making dinner. After supper the rain died off, and in a light start/stop drizzle we head out with our top water lures.

Tattler08177.jpg

Tattler08176.jpg

Tattler08100.jpg

As the evening went on the sky cleared and the fish cooperated.

Tattler08101.jpg

Tattler08103.jpg

Tattler08106.jpg

We got in and made a nice fire to sit beside as we watched the full moon rise. The weather was changing and we were actually able to watch clouds form out of “thin air” to the south of us. It was gorgeous evening and we saw a few shooting stars courtesy of the Perseid meteor shower. I played with the camera a little and snapped these photo’s of the moon over the marsh.

Tattler08182.jpg

Tattler08184.jpg

Tattler08186.jpg

Tattler08188.jpg

Tattler08214.jpg

Tattler08191.jpg

Tattler08192.jpg

Tattler08213.jpg

The fire died around midnight and we went to bed.

Edited by Ramble On

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent Report!!!Some nice pike and smallies. Those are some very interesting shots of the different types of fungus found in Algonquin. The laker was also a bonus. What did you catch it on and how many feet were you fishing?