Sask Report

holdfast

Last week I bought a small light 12 ft with a 9.9 and portable fish finder to9 try out on the small lakes. I went to Baxter Lake that I previously fished blindly with a canoe. This time armed with the portable I found that the deepest parts of the lake were 25 ft but it dropped to 12 feet close to shore. That meant that I was trolling in 25 ft of water instead of the 14 ft max that I wanted. Also I found that the rod holders worked excellent that came with the Boat. When I finally got to the Lake I found out there was another party there. A Dad and his Boy who were camping there. I guess they never expected any body as they parked their vehical infront of the launch site, no worries as the small boat was easily unloaded and manouverred.

Here's a couple of Pictures of the scenery

P8230021.jpg

P8230022.jpg

P8230023.jpg

P8230017.jpg

I actually think these rod holders are realy good. Just a matter of lifting the rod up. Big difference from trying it out for real instead of dry training

P8230016.jpg

P8230020.jpg

Within 5 minutes of trolling I caught this nice fat pike on a diving Jointed Rapala. The picture is poor as I guess the sun was in the way

P8230015.jpg

I also caught a few small ones. Still looking for a monster though.

P8230025.jpg

P8230026.jpg

P8230024.jpg

I decided to stop and still fish using frozen minnows. I felt a small pull slowly bouncing of the bottom and caught this small pickerel. It was sort of color less instead of the greenish dark look.

P8230027.jpg

So i put it on the stringer but I let it go thinking it would be the only one as it was getting dark soon. But as luck would have it I got another one after the release otherwise I would of ate them for a late supper

P8230028.jpg

I am expecting that I will probably be fishing with Hometownhandyman next week as he called during the week so well see what happens