Chatterbaits

Rich

They were all the rage down here last year, not too many people speaking of them this year. Anybody using them with any success? Last time I was out on my honey hole all they'd hit is the chatterbait and the Scrounger. Seemed to want that side to side wobble, but for some reason wouldn't touch crankbaits.

Other than that day, I've not seen too many days where the chatterbait outfished a spinnerbait.

I know on LPB last year we couldn't tie one on without a pike destroying it in 5 casts.

This summer was the first time I used a chatter bait. Had mixed results with it, much like you. I found the fish would smash them, when the bite was on, but if it slowed a little bit they wouldn't even look at it. Also most areas I was fishing had some pretty dense weeds so using the chatterbait was more of a nuisance than anything.

Chattebaits are still a good pike lure and I have had good success with them at nicht for bass. I went to Alberta last summer and was throwing them for pike and I caught about 5 walleye on them (to my pleasant surprise). I don't think they are any better than a spinnerbait but in many heavily fished areas I am sure a fish might not have seen one where they might have seen a few spinnerbaits. it seems swimbaits have taken over as the bait to have and many people are also drop shotting or using a shakey head jig. Seems every year there is a trend and it doesn't mean that the old stuff doesn't work. I think people just jump on the bandwagon with new stuff (always looking for that ultimate lure).

Edited by Cudz