Craigleith or Long Sault Parkway

sk_usagi

Heya,

I'm hoping to do some camping and fishing this weekend but i'm torn between 2 spots, i'm interested mostly in carp but also salmon. I heard that the salmon was starting come in around Wasaga this month so i'm kind of toying with idea of heading up there. But i'm also boatless, so we'll be fishing from shore. I heard the fishing at Craigleigh park near Collingwood is really good but was also thinking about maybe trying Long Sault Parkway on the St Lawrence for carp.

I'm just wondering if fishing is good in either of those spots during late August. I usually fish the Niagara region but haven't been having much luck with carp over this last month so i'd like to try some new spots. Has anyone fished off the shore of Craigleigh or the Long Sault during August and is any good?

thanks,

-usagi

:Gonefishing:

I honestly don't ever remember anyone mentioning catching any salmon from shore at Craigleith, Wasaga on the other hand, yes. We fished G Bay around Meaford/Owen Sound this weekend, it's pretty dismal to say the least. We had a little fun derby, about 42 guys, only 12 fish brought in, mostly sardine size salmon and a few rainbow, a couple that had what appeared to be net marks and one laker at 9lbs. Listening to the VHF definitely did not bring any encouragement either. Last week I spent some time watching the Pine river too, same story there, did not see one single salmon or early bow. Sorry for the bad report, don't want to get your hopes up.

I've never fished for carp, but I know the long Sault parkway is a great place to go. I have family that lives in Long Sault and we would often take drives along the parkway and see tons of people fishing carp. I've also seen some pretty big ones come out of there. I don't know what time of year is good, but I doubt you'll be disappointed if you go.

I've only fished in Long Sault once. It was last August. My dad and I got into a decent number of carp from 5-22lbs on our trip. From what the locals tell me, July/August is a slow time for the larger fish (30+lbs). Still plenty of tiddlers around for action. The larger fish start moving back into the area in September and October. If you're going out that way, stop into the Long Sault motel and ask Jeff or Colin for a few tips.

Hope this helps