Need some fishing suggestions.

wuchikubo

Hey Gang,

I need some suggestions on where to try to fish. I've got a couple of days marked off for fishing with a friend of mine this last week of august and would like to try somewhere new like, Georgian bay or the Haliburtons (we usually fish the Kawarthas). Any fish species is open but we have no boat so we'll either shore fish or rent a boat if available. My friend requests that I look for a travelodge or comfort inn in the area as he has a special company discount.

We're not looking for some expensive charter or anything, just the normal kick back and fish type of outing.

Any reasonable suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Well if it were me, here are what I would consider, in no particular order:

-Take a trip in a canoe down the Grand river. Guaranteed to catch lots of Bass, but little chance of larger species. There ar ecompanies that will shuttle you and rent you the canoe for $50 /day

-Hit the French River area and rent a boat. Always wanted to do that, and someday I will.

-Instead of renting a hotel, hit a lodge with fishing from shore and boat rentals. I would suggest Lakair based on what I hear on this board. Nippising has great species variety. THat way you can stay two days, rent a boat for one, and shore fish the other

-THeres nothing wrong the Kawarthas. THat would def be one of my choices.

Have fun!

Well if it were me, here are what I would consider, in no particular order:

-Take a trip in a canoe down the Grand river. Guaranteed to catch lots of Bass, but little chance of larger species. There ar ecompanies that will shuttle you and rent you the canoe for $50 /day

-Hit the French River area and rent a boat. Always wanted to do that, and someday I will.

-Instead of renting a hotel, hit a lodge with fishing from shore and boat rentals. I would suggest Lakair based on what I hear on this board. Nippising has great species variety. THat way you can stay two days, rent a boat for one, and shore fish the other

-THeres nothing wrong the Kawarthas. THat would def be one of my choices.

Have fun!

Thanks Mark Adams,

The French river is sounding good right now. Considering a day of guided fishing (since we're not familiar with the area) that looks like the range of $260-305/day according to Bear Den's Lodge website. However, my friend's rate is unmatchable for the accomodations (under $50 for the night) so I might be booking closest (maybe parry sound) and then do another day trip in the area before heading back.

Option #2 is looking at the Salmon derby in Owen sound area, but don't know about how much the charters will be for that.

Note: Nothing against the Kawarthas at all, I just want to try somewhere different for a change.

Thanks,

Stan

In your position Stan I'd consider the Ottawa River or the Rideau. I'm sure some folks here can help you with specifics.

Okay, anyone what to chime in on the specifics for the Ottawa River or area?

Where ever you decide to go Stan, be sure to whip the water to a dang' froth... the fish like that!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

If there's muskie around, I'll toss out my 12" double bladed torpedo muskie lure just for you (the lure still has to be Christened by it's first fish anyways).