Jimmy Help (NF)

Smitty1

Hey Guys

On my way to work today - my 2001 Jimmy started to act funny - I had the cruise control on and all of a sudden the truck shifted in 4x4 - I did not feel the chug like I usually would when it shifts into 4x4 - but the lights on the dash where flashing that it was in 4x4 - so I hit the 2wd button - it went back into 2 but only for about 1km...then switched back into 4x4.

I pulled into a gas station - had a look under the hood (not sure what I was looking for??). When I started the truck again it was in 4x4 again..I put the truck in neutral and tried to shift into 2wd - but it automatically switched back into 4wd...so I proceed on to work about another 2km - got into the parking lot at work and it went into 4 low...with the chug that is normal...so I crawled into a parking spot and switched it into 2wd and turned it off...any ideas on what the problem might be? I have been reading on the internet that it could be the transfer case is wound up and I need to drive a few 100 ft in reverse to fix this - anyone ever heard of that?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Smitty

Yep, start with vacumn lines, vacumn actuator....may be an easy-cheap fix.

Always start with the easy/obvious stuff-vacumn lines....fluid level in transfer case is good?

Check on the net car sites if its possible/safe to get Jimmy into regular 2 wheel drive and then pull fuse to disable shift to 4 wheel drive.....get you home to work in your driveway.

Hey Guys

On my way to work today - my 2001 Jimmy started to act funny - I had the cruise control on and all of a sudden the truck shifted in 4x4 - I did not feel the chug like I usually would when it shifts into 4x4 - but the lights on the dash where flashing that it was in 4x4 - so I hit the 2wd button - it went back into 2 but only for about 1km...then switched back into 4x4.

I pulled into a gas station - had a look under the hood (not sure what I was looking for??). When I started the truck again it was in 4x4 again..I put the truck in neutral and tried to shift into 2wd - but it automatically switched back into 4wd...so I proceed on to work about another 2km - got into the parking lot at work and it went into 4 low...with the chug that is normal...so I crawled into a parking spot and switched it into 2wd and turned it off...any ideas on what the problem might be? I have been reading on the internet that it could be the transfer case is wound up and I need to drive a few 100 ft in reverse to fix this - anyone ever heard of that?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Smitty

I suspect it is a vacuum issue.

Driving in reverse(for a few metres or yds,, not hundreds) after having the transfer case locked in 4x4 mode to have it disengage is not a new thing. Having your truck lock up in 4x4 mode when its not engaged by you is not normal.

I don`t know about that specific model of your vehicle, but I suspect it is either an electrical issue, or as stated, a vacuum issue.

My old 90 GMC half ton is electrically engaged. Only failed on me once.

My buds Toyota Tundra got wallowed down in a mud hole, and had the vacuum line sheared off. We were there for 6 hrs. trying to get out, not realizing that the truck wasn`t, and couldn`t be in 4x4 mode, despite what the dash indicator said. We knew fairly soon that the 4x4 was not working, but really did not believe it at the time.

Press the button, it should work, right...................... :lol: :lol: