Heads Up NF

bushart

In light of the incident in Toronto Yesterday I thought I'd share a little info that may help them in the future.

Really I've been more than an artist/intelligent donkey on OFC over the years--I also held a few gas licences.

I'll just hit the highpoints here....

Propane gas such as you use in the backyard BBQ is stored as a liquid in that bottle with a percentage of airspace at the top to allow for pressure relief---that's why the firefighters were hitting those unexploded tanks to keep them cool and not building excessive pressure.

Propane as a liqiud boils at minus 45 degrees ---remembering water at 212--so any time in our hemisphere propane as a liquid hits the air it vapourizes.

Here's the kicker kids---the amount of liquid under pressure when hits the air will expand 270x---so what you may think is a small amount becomes large quickly

Here's where this affects you

Our instructor from years ago who was also a member of the Gov't that did inspections--before and after the fact mentioned..

A surprisingly large amount of people that allow grease to build up on their tank and one day it catches on fire--well I guess they would kick the tank over and roll it around trying to put it out---not good

You see that air space for pressure relief is no longer in the upright position with the air space at top to vent off under high pressure--so if pressure gets high enough to vent it will spew liquid propane---yep now going to expand 270x--so little problem now bigger.

---best way KEEP YOUR TANK CLEAN and follow the instructions to the letter including soap testing the connections after installation.

Also people with campers/boats and the like really need to be diligent in installing a carbon detector *At lower levels* for propane appliances---propane is heavier than air unlike natural gas.

Now like all those big companies I'll state if your not sure call for a professional---this is just a heads up anot intended for anyone to attempt anything outside their expertise.