Report from SK

holdfast

This weekend was not good weather wise. Because I still had no outboard I was left with canoe fishing only. But the good news was that I got a call from a happy mech who told me the parts are in and the outboard would be ready that day, (Sat). I says great and thanks, but I wont see it till at least Tues as I am 3 Hrs North in Big River. Myself and Rodger decided that we would try a small lake close as it was windy. I had fished it Last Nov and near Froze to Death as it was extremely windy with a winter bite. So around 7 pm off we went with minimal gear and a trolling we went.

P8030013.jpg

P8030012.jpg

P8030015.jpg

Rodger Hooked two small ones as I but only figured the miniature Pike was the only one worth taking a Picture.

P8030014.jpg

We noticed on the other side of the Lake that there was some sort of structure so we decided to explore. What looked like a long cabin was actually a wind break for a crude campsite. The site was extremely clean. There was fresh ashes and four logs used as seats. Absolutely no garbage, no butts, no Btl caps, no tins nothing but an old piece of tarp. Me and Rodger found a spot with a bunch of feathers that looked like they were plucked. Absolutely no signs of human garbage. Rodger figured that they were probably Natives maybe fishing, hunting, or just collecting a few feathers. Jokingly I told Rodger that you guys were savages.

P8030021.jpg

P8030016.jpg

We also found these marks on the tree that looked like a Bear was clawing at. At first I thought it was Hatchet marks but the way Rodger mimicked a bear clawing it made sense. Id like if someone who is experienced or Knows plse confirm if these are in fact Claw Marks

P8030020.jpg

P8030017.jpg

P8030018.jpg

P8030019.jpg

We also noticed that some one had carved crosses right through the tree with a chain saw. Extremely dangerous if someone was to camp as a strong wind will fell the tree possibly killing some one.

P8030022.jpg

P8030023.jpg

Rodger has told me several times that he would rather come across a bear than wolves which I find surprising so I asked him why. He says wolves would leave nothing not even Bones. I wonder if his Meds were kicking in or if he knows something more than I do as he should as hes been Logging and hunting all his Life.