opinions on headlamps

white007

Hey guys, going to do some late night muskie fishing for the first time next week and just asking anyone with experince about what i should need in a headlamp, which brands to stay away from, best bargin for your buck type or dead. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance

white007 :clapping:

I have three different headlamp systems. From absolute crap to best here they are.

The ball cap ones are fine if you really just want to not walk into trees going through the bush.... They are very limited in range and in you have to move your head around a lot to get them to be useful when using your hands.

Worse thing about then is they only work if you are wearing a ball cap. Not really something I like to do when it is -10 C out....

Perfect for lending to friends who come along who never have their own equpment, that you don't really care if they walk off the end of the pier or not.... I once grabbed a guy in our party who was going to do just that because he couldn't see the pier dog legged, wearing one of them.

The second worse one is a china made knock off that I got at Zellers. it has a head strap that doesn't work, and just a head lamp with a standard bulb. It was worth the 9.99 I paid for it, but just.

The best is a 3 light Rayovac with a head strap that after 3 years and about 140 trips is just as good as I day I bought it. It is the only totally waterproof one out of the bunch too. It has a red bulb for catching worms that works great for giving you enough to walk around. The second setting is for 2 leds that work great for working on line and baiting up hooks. The last setting is a "krypton" bulb that you could use to call in airplanes. I got it at Walmart and will be picking up another one just to have on hand because the unit is so good. It takes 3 AAA batteries I use dollar store panasonics in it and they last at least 15 hrs for me unless the temperature is sub zero then I get about 12 or so. I paid about 18 bucks for this one and it is about the best money I have ever spent on a fishing accessory.

Just checked Rayovac's website and they don't list the one I have anymore but seem to have "improved" it. That means I best go to Wallyworld this weekend and grab one like the one I have... As Rayovac might have fixed it to death LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

available at CTC, probably other places, and THE BEER STORE.

Got 2 of them myself.

Yea that's Right, only the Liquor store stuck one, I believe Johnny Walker Rye. Got a few but got nailed switching the miniature Saskatchewan Rough Riders Radio for the Light because I wanted Vodka instead. Now they know me at the NB Liquor Store

Edited by holdfast