Pickerel River

swahrer

Hi All,

I am heading up to the Pickerel River on the Aug Long week-end. Just wondering if anyone knows the area or river at all? I have never been out so it will be a whole new discovery on this body of water for me.

We are staying at Kagamaga Lodge http://www.kagamaga.com/

Appreantly there is Walleye, LM & SM, Musky & Pike. I will mostly be going for the LM & SM but would love to try for them all!!

Any and all help much appreciated.

Hopefully I can share some pictures of our catch when we return.

Keep them Tight!

:Gonefishing:

I fished several times in the early 90's out of Camp Wanikewin on the Pickeral, which is west of 69, whereas you will be east of it. I've fished your area, as well as further east of that lodge. WE fished primarily muskie, but caught bass and pike at same time. Didn't catch many pickeral, but the way we were fishing usually doesn't. Most of the area east of 69 is wide, with many bays, and two inlets I remember. There are very good weedbeds in the bays, as well as east of your lodge, such as up where the power lines cross. These weed beds will likely contain bass, pike, and muskie. We caught many muskie in the Pickeral, with the largest being a 49" fish taken in the east of 69 water. We've seen, and had on, larger fish. and while we trolled some, we were primarily casting the usual suspects. I would guess casting with rapalas, bucktails, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits will be productive, as well as dragging bait through the weedbeds. For walleye, you'll have to consult with someone up there.

If you go west of 69 bridge, you will need to head several miles before you reach any of the larger bays ( Muskie, Rat, McGougal). If you really want to truck, you can go all the way down to where the pickeral empties into the French. However, if you don't have a 25hp or more motor, I'd stay east of 69. Plenty of good water there. Maybe, for the hell of it, take one day and go west. Pick how far you want to go via map, go there first and fish your way back.

Although I fish the French River primarily now,I quite liked the Pickeral. Luke Worline, A good friend of mine, who also owns the Drifter Bait company (Believer lures) and I fished together there several times. We still talk of the monster he lost at boatside one day, and we often talk of going back, and I'm sure one day we will. If you ever run into Luke at a show, ask him about that experience....it's a good story, and he'll get all fired up recounting it.

Report back.....I'd love to hear how you did.

Thanks BigCreek! Very insightful. I am thinking the Pickerel is one of those places that people don't get out to too often, especially judging from the price of the cabin we are staying in for 3 days at $360.00 TOTAL! Hopefully it is a old forgotten gold mine that is just waiting for some new interest.

By chance anyone know the average depth of the river in the east section?

Be interesting to see some reports from the Pickeral River. Like BCD, I primarily fish the French. But hey - maybe a stay on the Pickeral should be in order for me. Last year, there were a couple other guys in the same camp we were in, that were heading down to the Pickeral for some kind of GTG - don't recall which group it was. Later on I heard that one member of that group landed a 50+ muskie west of 69. Sure sounds like they are in there. Best of luck to ya and let us know how you did.

Edited by Rich Clemens