Health Care for a Canadian Friend

TennesseeGuy

Here's an article from today's newspaper in my town of a little under 30,000 people. It describes how we don't allow a Canadian without health insurance slip through the cracks when there's a need. This is not an exception. Donations of auction objects have grown since the article was written. It's going to be a pretty big deal.

It's a touching story.

Connie

Art community pitches in to help injured WestSide business owner pay medical bills, keep the store open

Margaret Shuster

Herald-Citizen Staff

Sunday, Jul 20, 2008

COOKEVILLE – It’s been a month filled with hospital stays and unforeseen complications since Rene Albert, owner of The Intrepid Traveler café on Cookeville’s WestSide, had a motorcycle wreck that broke both his arms.

But it’s also been a month filled with compassion, seen in the community’s generous outpouring of help.

“What really, really blew my mind completely was that it was June 15 when Rene had the accident, and two days later the coffee shop was open, manned by various people, and it has been manned by volunteers ever since. It’s just incredible,” said Stan Rodriguez, owner of The Magical Muse art gallery, which sits beside The Intrepid Traveler on West Broad Street.

In addition to the volunteers who have worked in shifts to keep the coffee brewing and the customers served, fellow WestSider Michelle O’Neil from West Textures Framing & Fine Art, along with David Alexander of Huber Marionettes, have shown up at 4 or 5 each morning to bake muffins. Others keep the refrigerator case filled with homemade wraps for lunch every day. Customers are pitching in, too.

“People go in there sometimes to get a cup of coffee and leave a $20 or $30 donation just to help,” said Rodriguez.

Said Albert’s wife, Arlene Dubo, “We just couldn’t believe it when we were in Knoxville in the hospital and people were telling us they were going to find a way to keep the café open. We didn’t know how to respond. It’s just overwhelming. It’s very humbling. It makes us want to give back tenfold.”

Albert and Dubo moved here just a year ago from Toronto.

“The reason Rene was attracted to this place to begin with was because of the people,” said Dubo. “Here we were in Canada, and all you hear about the States is what you hear on the news, and he said, ‘No, no you’ve got to meet these people. They’re so fabulous.’ And they were. We were drawn to this place.”

So the couple chose Cookeville’s WestSide as the spot to make Albert’s dream of owning a motorcycle-themed coffee shop a reality, and The Intrepid Traveler was born a few months later. The couple and their new business have been embraced by the community, and now even more people are springing into action to help them pay the mountain of medical bills that will soon be coming their way.

Rodriguez is heading up a three-month raffle for items including a large, emerald-cut London blue topaz pendant on a silver chain; a bike; riding gear; dinner for two; artwork; and gift certificates, and he is continuing to accept donations. Tickets are $5 each or five for $23, and all of the proceeds will go to Albert.

Mod and Pand, who own Taiko and House of Thai, are planning a fundraiser buffet from 11-3 p.m. Saturday, July 26, at House of Thai on 8th Street. Tickets cost $10 and are now on sale. They hope to sell at least 100.

And Kris Ballinger of the Cluster Pluckers is organizing a benefit concert on Thursday, July 24, upstairs at Taiko.

“This hit close to home for me because I had a bike wreck and got hurt real bad, so I know from experience how hard it is to go through the injury part of something like this, but then also have to face all those bills — it’s like a double whammy,” said Ballinger. “And they’re going to have hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills, so I’m really feeling for them.”

The concert will be emceed by Dave Johnson and will feature Warren Gently at 7 p.m., The Ballingers at 8, Spoonful at 9 and Sheep Trick at 10. Tickets are $20 at the door.

“It’s just fun, upbeat music that people who like all kinds of music can enjoy,” said Johnson.

Many WestSide businesses and artists are donating items for a silent auction that will take place in The Intrepid Traveler the night of the concert.

Auction items donated so far include gift certificates from Tate & Co., Deuel’s Photography and Elizabeth’s Cottage; three prints by artist Wayne Hogan; four framed photos by Cella Neapolitan; two windchimes from New Century Books & Goods; a gift basket from Broadway Boutique Mall; an intricate wooden motorcycle sculpture from A Rare Find; a child’s guitar from American Guitar; gift certificates from several WestSide restaurants; and miscellaneous items donated by individuals. The items can be viewed beginning Wednesday, July 23.

“I think it’s the most amazing thing that has happened, that all these people have come together and are doing whatever they can to help,” said Kate Scurlock, who is helping to organize the auction. “It’s truly touching to me, and I’m glad I’m a part of it, too.”

And Albert and Dubo are even more convinced than before that they chose the right place to be.

“We are so grateful, and we don’t know how we’re going to thank everybody enough; it’s a testament to how good the people are here,” said Dubo. “There are lots of enlightened people in the foothills of Tennessee, and we are honored to be among them.”

Copyright © 2008 The Herald-Citizen. All rights reserved.

awesome, every time I was in the States I was treated well, even when I took a wrong turn in Richmond Virginia and ended up at Mcdonalds. The only problem was we were the only white Boys, but as soon as they knew we were Canadians things got back to Normal. I really do miss the friendliness and country life of Vermont

Edited by holdfast

Great story and a testament to the character of the community.

I can't believe the guy didn't have health insurance though even after living there for a year.

Heck, I always get it when I'm headed Stateside even if it's just a short vacation...

He's a very lucky man.