When is it considered a COLD FRONT?

bassfighter

Many of us agree that Fishing on a cold front is not too good.

When is it considered a cold front?

a. Previous day Temp has dropped by 5 degrees the following day

b. 5 degree to 10 degrees change?

c. More than 10 degrees change?

Do we also have to consider the temp change the night before?

How about humidity factor?

Any tips on cold front fishing or just stay home?

We did not do too well last week at Balsam lake, only caught 3 walleye in the slot size, one 2lb SM bass, and one 36" musky. The temp dropped over 8 degrees from previous hot humid weather, though it was a cloudy day, it was comfortably cool with no humidity at all. I considered it a cold front and too windy condition that shut down the fish. The water was quite rough and hard to control lure action.

Normally if the forecast calls for showers and a cloudy day, not too windy under 15km wind, and still a humid day, fishing should be amazing.

Interesting read on cold front fishing

http://www.jimporter.org/articles/article16.shtml

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...26131215AAxq8ok

8 degrees drop? that's quite alot.

My theory is that.. when I don't catch anything that day, and the temp has dropped, I consider it a cold front and I'll stick to that lol. Gotta give myself an excuse somehow 8-), besides, i gotta get out there when i can anyway.. can't be picky about the weather.

Basically a cold front is a weather system that brings in cooler, dryer air. Whether the air temp. drops 2 degrees or 10 degrees, it affects the fish in the same ways but to a different degree. When a front is coming through (pressure dropping fast), fish feed most actively. If dark skies (low pressure) sticks around after the front passes, fish are usually still willing to eat but take a little bit more convinceing. When the fishing really gets tough is when the skies clear up and the pressure gets high. High pressure after a period of low pressure affects fishes swim bladders and makes them feel uncumfterble, wich usually makes them just sit in one place. Current and, or deep water insulates the affects of pressure changes, so fish in those areas will not be as affected by it.

basically if you see the temps drop or rise by a good amount fishin wont be so great. its when its stable for a few days they get use to the pressure and stuff lol. unless your fishing salmon, rainbows and browns which use high water to migrate this means fishing time for me when the pressure changes in the fall