Best route to Myrtle Beach N/F

pikehunter

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach for well over 17 years. I have done the typical internet route searches, Google, Mapquest and Rand McNally for directions from Fort Erie/Hamilton to MB. Two of the 3 give a shorter time route down 77, 76 and some state roads. McNally says to take the Eastern route to DC and take the Beltway around it.

Years ago I took the Eastern route. I know it is longer but just wondering which is better in the way of highways and terrain. I will be taking it easy on the old /97 Aerostar but this trip will put a strain on it, with the rear seal just starting to leak oil I am leary on even taking it this far and with this in mind we may just end up staying closer to home but my wife and PH JR has a more distant, exotic destination in mind and I have promised him a family vacation for several years.

Thanks for your input and I will hopefully report back with some fishing pictures.

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach for well over 17 years. I have done the typical internet route searches, Google, Mapquest and Rand McNally for directions from Fort Erie/Hamilton to MB. Two of the 3 give a shorter time route down 77, 76 and some state roads. McNally says to take the Eastern route to DC and take the Beltway around it.

Years ago I took the Eastern route. I know it is longer but just wondering which is better in the way of highways and terrain. I will be taking it easy on the old /97 Aerostar but this trip will put a strain on it, with the rear seal just starting to leak oil I am leary on even taking it this far and with this in mind we may just end up staying closer to home but my wife and PH JR has a more distant, exotic destination in mind and I have promised him a family vacation for several years.

Thanks for your input and I will hopefully report back with some fishing pictures.

We go via 76/77 to Hilton Head. I used to go through DC but I like the 76/77 route better. Less traffic and nicer scenery.

JF

It may seem like you're backtracking because you have to go west into Pa. but it really is a nicer drive than going southeast from Buffalo. I've started using it for Fla. trips because I'm sick of the scenery on I-75.

JF

Make sure you've got CAA, or any other road side assistance, just in case.

I'd also stick to major highways, instead of trying to save a few minutes with alternate routes. Seeing as you may have some vehicle issues, you wouldn't want to get stuck in some small southern US town, unless you like Dueling Banjos.

Hey PH,

I've been down through DC on that route twice. Stuck in some traffic both times in that loop that goes around the city/state. Pain in the butt, but bearable and not an overly long distance. I think if you can plan your DC pass around non-rush hour times it should be manageable.

I'm not familiar with the other routes but I remember we decided on this path because it seemed to be the most direct and the quickest.

Just a comment. If MB is a little far you may want to consider Virginia Beach?

We've been the last two years and loved it. Affordable "near the beach/across the street from the beach" motels, some entertainment for young'ns (I think a Busch Gardens?), decent state parks around for some awesome hikes through sandy-soil, viny forests that open up to freshwater marshes, a really nice beach with WARM water in the summer, lots of wild dolphins just off shore and...

most importantly...

quite obviously...

a 1,000 foot long fishing pier that provides steady action - bulefish, "grunts"/"spot", whiting, plus some bonus stuff like large skates/rays, cobia, etc.

We also went deep see "reef" fishing on a charter last year for $35 each (my wife and I) - great times, lots of flounder and sea bass.

Any way, just an option for you. Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers,

MOB

Thanks for the well wishes and all the helpful advise :thumbsup_anim:

The bags are packed and the van is itching to hit the highway, really it is, honestly! After driving it for almost 300,000 kms I have learned to read it's emotions. (Nuts eh?)

Flying to Myrtle Beach isn't an option because of the budget plus none of us have passports and it would most likely actually cost more to fly to MB than it would to take a Florida vacation package.

So it's on the road in the early A.M.

Cheers to all :D