broken finger?Help?

Couple questions....

Is the finger swollen or just bruised???

Does it hurt constantly, or only when you try to move it?

Is the fingertip numb or feel like pins and needles?

Is there any deformity?

With your finger, how well can you push against and pull a finger on the other hand?

Which part of the finger is injured?... from finger tip to knuckle (3rd joint) you have two other joints. First at tip, second at middle, then the "them's fighting words" 3rd knuckle, which is the bad one???

When you move your finger, do you hear or feel crepitus (something grinding)???

When you initially hurt your finger did you hear or feel anything snap? (not totally useful in determining one way or another)

Is your pain better, worse or the same since about an hour after you first injured your finger?

Edited by Moosebunk

Lol on #7 of broken fingers or toes, ok I am a cluts, moving or not moving your finger is no way to tell only once could I not move it when it was broken and that was an axe mishap, everytime I have bin in the doc said do you want me to waste money on an xray or tell ya its broke? A cast is usually only if its major bad, but I am not a doctor just repeating some of my misshaps lol

Couple questions....

Is the finger swollen or just bruised???

Does it hurt constantly, or only when you try to move it?

Is the fingertip numb or feel like pins and needles?

Is there any deformity?

With your finger, how well can you push against and pull a finger on the other hand?

Which part of the finger is injured?... from finger tip to knuckle (3rd joint) you have two other joints. First at tip, second at middle, then the "them's fighting words" 3rd knuckle, which is the bad one???

When you move your finger, do you hear or feel crepitus (something grinding)???

When you initially hurt your finger did you hear or feel anything snap? (not totally useful in determining one way or another)

Is your pain better, worse or the same since about an hour after you first injured your finger?

k so here it is today it was feelin better,but then i went swimming and it was a pretty shallow pool in my backyard one of the easy set up ones with the poles. i was crawlin on my hands and and feet with belly facing up if u know wat i mean? and i stepped out itt ereeeee doogggyyyyy it hurt like a .....you know but its my knuckle and its a little swollen still i cant bend it all the way down to touch my palm like usual. It still hurts pretty might see doc on Friday. theres no popping grinding or anything and i can bend my other finger with it pushing and putting pressure but it still deffinetly hurts.didnt ice it today going to do that soon,it's 5:47 too lazy to get it now and parents are sleeping

Soft Tissue Injury.

My bet is no break.

Even if it was broken it could heal just fine without a cast. I've broken my left 4th and 5th knuckles 3 times in my life and an index finger. 2 of 4 times casted. Made no difference either way, just be careful for awhile with it. And yes, after the last break I went fly fishing for 4 days in Quebec and it did hurt using the hand to cast with so I wore a splint when it got real sore. You "could" do the same.

disclaimer... this is by no means what you should do. You should make your own choice or see an MD. :whistling::stretcher:

Those were a dime a dozen to me when I played high school basketball. I remember having four at the same time once. Give them time and they will heal. Probably in a week or so. The only bone that I've ever actually broke was my pelvis. Believe me. You don't ever want to do that.

Those were the days, weren't they.

I think I broke all but one of my fingers at least once (judging by the peculiar twists and turns in 'em), wrecked an ankle, and too many busted ribs to remember (cuz they hurt like a sumbeetch at the time). The only injuries I ever got treatment for were a partially-torn Achilles (badminton with my son - no warmup) and a bunch of more recent broken ribs in a car accident. The doctor looked at the x-ray and asked me what I did to have so many old rib breaks. It was all from basketball, football and hockey in high school. Our football seasons were very short but it seems to me I ended up on crutches more games than not. Oddly enough I never broke any big bones nor did I lose any teeth. Never had any stitches either, but that was probably more about being a wuss and just taping the cut up tight for a while. It took about 40 years (literally) to get the feeling back in one divot I took out of my leg when I was about 12.

It's amazing how well the human body can take care of itself, isn't it? But I am noticing these days that there seems to be something suspiciously like arthritis in the last joint on both middle fingers. Perhaps the long term price of too many jammed fingers in basketball.

JF