Fishing with Headhunter and a BIG thanks to CCMT

fishnsled

HH and I decided we'd head out for a morning fish on Sunday. Joe get's to my place around 5:30am after his tour of Tim Hortons trying to find some donuts. It took him 3 places before he could find the donuts but only to find they didn't know how to charge him for his thermos of coffee. :wallbash: Oh well we were on the road rolling by 5:35am. It was a great drive up for spotting wildlife, first a skunk - not a good sign?? Several wild turkeys and a very large coyote. We were on the water and fishing about 6:45am. It was a bit cool, overcast and some showers mixed in as well.

After about an hour or so I get into the first fish of the day - a bucket of about 14". Oh well it's a start. A couple more casts and my second fish, a smaller 10-12" bucket. As we are making are way around I notice that the boat is not sitting quite right. Joe and I our standing on the same side and the boat is sitting a bit lower then normal. I've had three guys standing on one side in the past and the boat hardly moves. I start thinking that Joe better hit the gym and loose a few pounds :P , hell I better do the same :whistling::( . We made our way out onto a flat and I picked up a nice perch. It's at that point Joe says...."There's water coming up threw the floor drain!" I turn around in a heartbeat and can't believe my eyes. I jump to the back of the boat and lift up the rear storage compartment to find it's full of water. Joe askes if I put the plug in and I tell him yes, I checked it twice. I hit the bilge pump and idle our way back to the launch.

We get the boat out and pull the plug, it only took about 5-10 minutes for the water to drain out. Well we could fish for a while with the bilge pump going or we can look into getting this fixed, Joe suggests we call it a day and get it looked at. With my up cominig vacation it seemed like the right thing to do. Off the water by 9am. It appeared that the water was coming in around the livewell pump and after getting a buddy of mine to take a look it was confirmed. My pump wasn't working but he said it never should have leaked like that. The only thinig that I can think of is that Cliff after not being happy as my photographer last weekend had sabotaged my pump hoping that this would cause the boat to sink. Very nice work there Cliff, it almost worked. The final score at the end of the end was 3 fish boated for me and Joe, well, had a great time all though be it a short time thanks to Cliff. A new pump has be purchased and will be installed tonight and should be good for the water next weekend. We'll get out again soon Joe, thanks for the great morning and the laughs.

OK, I really don't think, nor do I blame Cliff for my leaking boat. After last weeks report showing me "cutting off" another boat. I had to get a little revenge in. :D All is good Cliff and we'll get out again as well.

The real reason for posting is of this. You may remember that last fall Wayne had showed how he had winterized his livewells so he could be comfortable in using his boat without the worry of lines or pumps freezing. He had capped the inlet for the pump so water couldn't get in. If I had a cap for the livewell inlet on board I could have saved the day and stopped the leak. For less then a dollar we could have been fishing. So you can bet I'll be keeping a couple of caps and some plumbers tape in the boat from now on. It might save the day if the pump should go like that again. And that is your OFC tip of the day. ;)

Edited by fishnsled

You want me to come over and install that pump? Honest...I've done hundreds of them. I have a hacksaw, some duct tape and krazy glue all ready to go. :lol:

Oh and for the record...I never wanted the boat to actually sink.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear it'll be taken care of for your vacation!!!

Thanks for the OFC tip of the day!! I should just get a new one. Mine never worked from the day I got the boat....the electrical and drain hose is all installed...just need to splurge on the 20 dollar pump.

Edited by ccmt

Hey Will! I always have a good time fishing with you! I seriously could not believe that I had to hit three Timmies to find one that had any donuts! As FnS is good enough to take me out on his boat, the least I can do is bring some vittells!

Glad it wasn't an overly difficult fix, but it sure was an eye opener to see that water creeping up the boat floor... I believe that the conversation went something like this...

me - ahh, Will there seems to be water coming up through the floor

Will - uhmm... that's not a good thing.... hmmm, you know what that means Joe? We're sinking... well I didn't panic as we were on the Bog and really, could have probably walked back to shore and only got my lower half wet!LOL

Always have a good time fishin with FnS and if you ever get a chance to get out with him, DO IT! He has some very good skills, always catches fish and is a dam good guy to shoot the dung with!

Thanks again Will and yah, you know we will do it again!

HH

Hey HH...surprised you said all those good things about him. He invites me aboard and wont let me catch anything. Then he invites you on board a sinking ship....hmmm....

Seriously though...Will is a great guy....and always willing to help out when he can. Looking forward to boarding your fine vessel again soon....assuming it wont sink on us....I'm a terrible swimmer.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thats sucks. I too had boat trouble 2 outings in a row, so I know how disappointing that is! The good thing is that it sounds like it will be inexpensive to fix. And you will be back in action in no time!

I'm not sure about walking across the bog. You might sink in 4-5 feet! :blink:

Just a quick up date - the pump is in and working. The craft will be seaworthy for the weekend. :thumbsup_anim:

Hey HH...surprised you said all those good things about him. He invites me aboard and wont let me catch anything. Then he invites you on board a sinking ship....hmmm....

I'm beginning to wonder about the 2 of you.....This is my second outting of the year with Joe and my second boat problem with him, first I banged up my prop and then this last trip a leaking boat. :glare: The previous weekend with you Cliff I had trolling motor problems...... :glare: Thanks for the offer to "help out" Cliff but I got it done on my own.....probably better off knowing how you are with electrical stuff. :whistling::D On the other hand if you need some help with yours I'll be glad to lend a hand ;)

Thats sucks. I too had boat trouble 2 outings in a row, so I know how disappointing that is! The good thing is that it sounds like it will be inexpensive to fix. And you will be back in action in no time!

Hey JB - We wait what seems like an eternity to get our boats out after a long winters nap and we all hate any down time but poop happens. This is my second weekend in a row as well but was able to fix the trolling motor problem on the lake the previous weekend. I sure was glad to have my tool kit aboard. I hope your boat is in great working order come the weekend and that the repair bill isn't too bad.

That dang Cliff, he's always sabotaging everything so he can look like the better fisherman :w00t:

Well that kind of sucks for your day of fishing eh!!! That's always my fear, we'll get way far out on a big lake and then notice water coming in. Thanks for the nightmares Will :P:D

Hope you get it all fixed up for this coming weekend.

Joey

Well that kind of sucks for your day of fishing eh!!! That's always my fear, we'll get way far out on a big lake and then notice water coming in. Thanks for the nightmares Will :P:D

Hope you get it all fixed up for this coming weekend.

Joey

All fixed up, just have to put the hose onto the pump tonight. Funny thing you mentioned the big lake, Joe and I were planning to go but decided on some smaller water do to the winds. Somethings happen for a reason. I would have hated to been out on Lake O and had that happen. That would be why I have a VHF radio.