Valens Derby Results

jediangler

Arrived at Valens at 10am with the kayak and had till 2pm to catch a big one.

valens.jpg

Many boats on the water and just as many shore fishermen.

I caught one hammerhandle pike and a WGSF in 3hrs. Packed up the yak at 1pm and went to buy some grub at the concession.

beach.jpg

Not everyone was at Valens for the Derby. The beach was packed as everyone was trying to keep cool.

weighin.jpg

The crowd started gathering at the weigh station for the 2pm closing.

3rd_bass.jpg

This guy was wading near the beach when he caught this fish and made it to the scales with less than 5min remaining. It was 4lbs even and with a 6oz bonus for live release it was good for 3rd place. He caught it on a jointed rapala in gold w/black back.

score.jpg

The top three bass were: 4lb13oz/20.5", 4lb8oz/18", 4lb6oz/17.5"

Top three pike were: 6lb2oz/31.75", 5lb13oz/31.5", 5lb9oz/28.5"

Keep in mind the 6oz added on for live release. Trolling motors were for first in each category and the big trolling motor was the grand draw prize. I got squat, as usual, at the draw prizes. A young girl won 1st and 3rd in junior bass as well as 1st in panfish. Everyone enjoyed themselves and the weather held up with a little rain around 10:30am.

At least ya tried Bro, and everyone has a chance at the draw prize. I tried it a few times in years past but never did well....too many boats and I'm sure the fish are hungry since theres no more ice fishing and no fishing til bass opens but glad to see the prizes are getting better every year. No clear bottom yaks this year eh?