Terry offers tips on hiring a guide

Spiel

Terry offers tips on hiring a guide

July 8, 2008

Terry Curtis / northumberlandtoday.com

So, you're heading out on a family fishing vacation, or maybe going with a few fishing buddies on a little fishing getaway for a few days.

And you're thinking about hiring a fishing guide.

That's a good idea, especially if you're fishing waters you don't know.

This week I'm offering up some do's and don'ts that will benefit both you and your chosen fishing guide for a better day on the water. As a longtime guide, I've been down this road many, many times over the years and I'm constantly amused and amazed at some of the things I see and hear while on the water.

With that in mind, here are some simple Terry's Tips to keep in mind for use both before you hire a guide and while you're fishing with one.

First of all, when you hire a guide, do your homework on him. Ask for

references from previous customers and talk to them to see if he was knowledgeable, congenial and on time. How reliable was his fishing gear and boat? Most importantly, did he lead them to fish?

If you're phoning a resort or tackle shop, don't just take their word that their guide is good. In most cases, they are getting a cut of the guide's fees, so they want him to be as busy as possible. Ask to speak to the guide personally, and don't be afraid to pepper him with any and all questions you can think of. If you get a lot of unanswered questions or hemming and hawing, save your money. A good guide knows his business and bodies of water well and will have most pertinent answers ready.

Don't forget to ask about alternate dates in case of bad weather. Do you still have to pay if weather forces a cancelation? Who decides if you go or not if the weather is dicey? Some guys don't care if you want to back out because the water is too rough for your liking. They say the motor is running, the trip is booked and you still pay whether you want to go or whether you don't.

Book your guide for the prime fishing times on his waters. If you know August is a slow month for fishing where you are headed, maybe you can book in July or September when the fishing is better. No guide, no matter how good an angler he is, can make the fish bite. They can only put you on the best spots with the baits that work the best. If you book the dog days of summer, expect the dog days of catching fish and don't whine.

Listen to the guide's advice. A good one wants you to catch lots of fish so he'll get repeat business.

I can't begin to recall the number of people I've guided who suddenly became the guide themselves when they thought the fishing was too slow for their liking, saying things like, "That looks like a better spot over there," or, "I caught lots of fish in that spot by the island 20 years ago; why don't we go there?" Well, if they know all that, why did they hire me? I fish the places I do because I have current knowledge of where the fish are biting. I want them to catch fish and take them the best areas I know so they can do that. Leave the guiding to the guide.

For heaven's sake, be on time! You want your guide to be prompt. Give him the same respect. Some people think if they show up late the extra time should be added on at the end of the day. Not with me! The clock starts ticking at the previously agreed to time and ends either four or eight hours later. I don't know anyone who works for nothing, why should I? Get your butt out of bed and be on time!

If you tell the guide you are bringing one other person, then only bring one other person. Don't show up with extras, even if they are children. Extra people mean extra work for the guide, extra food and drinks in some cases and extra tackle, not to mention extra fuel for the boat. Be fair and stick to the terms of the agreed to facts when you book the guide.

Perhaps most importantly, book your guide for the first day or two of your trip, not the last one.

Too many people think they can catch the fish by themselves, panic when they only have a day or two left in their trip and are catching nothing, then get upset when they can't get a guide. Why not spend a few bucks early in the trip, learn where the fish are located and what they're hitting, then relax and enjoy the rest of the week? And catch fish!

For example, I got a call last week from a guy who had been fishing Rice Lake for a week and had caught nothing, hit the train tracks with his boat and had to head back to the States the next morning. He was in a panic to catch a muskie and asked me to guide him for one hour to catch one. One hour! When I told him I didn't usually do one-hour guides and told him if I did it would cost him the same as a four-hour trip, he spun! He couldn't believe it. He thought I was ripping him off, I guess, but when I asked him how much he would have saved by calling me the first day he was here and then knowing where the train tracks were (thus saving his motor) and also catching some muskie throughout the week, he calmed down and agreed he made a mistake -- a pricey one, at that!

Overall, if you want to be treated well by your guide, give him the same respect. No one -- neither client nor guide -- likes to be taken advantage of.

Put some planning and research into your fishing trip before you go and hire your guide early if you opt to go with one. Everyone will be happier!

Terry Curtis can be reached at [email protected] .

I can't begin to recall the number of people I've guided who suddenly became the guide themselves when they thought the fishing was too slow for their liking, saying things like, "That looks like a better spot over there," or, "I caught lots of fish in that spot by the island 20 years ago; why don't we go there?" Well, if they know all that, why did they hire me? I fish the places I do because I have current knowledge of where the fish are biting. I want them to catch fish and take them the best areas I know so they can do that. Leave the guiding to the guide.

LOL, including good friends that come up for the weekend, I thought it was just me, man is that ever annoying to a guide or local fisherman.