Walleye trolling experts

bassjnkie

I am going to Rice lake on Sunday. I always jig for walleye when I go there. This time I want to do some light trolling with hard baits. I am using a bow mount trolling motor, so I will need a raised roder holder or clamp on for the front and 2 screw in for the back, what do you recomend and where can I get them? I have a 7' heavy action rod and an Abu 5500 C4, will that be ok? Lastley should I use a planner board and will my rod handle that, if not what do you suggest?

Sorry for all the question, it's my first time trolling

Thank you

I have a fried who has the cabelas quick draws....they seem good and he hasn't had any problems...plus they come in a variety of mounting options and they are I think they are pretty inexpensive (70-90 usd for 4) as far as rod holders go if this isn't going to be your everyday thing and you don't want to sink a lot into a really good set. Down here in cleveland, we have been doing good on suspended fish trolling spinner rigs behind 1-2 oz in line weights behind in line boards. I think your rods will be fine for those smaller in line boards...hope that helps

Don

If you want to troll Rice lake.. and do not like to hold onto the rod.. might I suggest a Salty Holder? it is removable and simply works... not to mention it is not made of plastics....

as for a bait on rice lake trolling for pickeral... if it was me.. and I was not jigging... I would be running a small shadrap to stay above the weeds be close to em..

G

trolling the channel, mid-lake will also pick up a few walleye... i would use a worm harness or erie dearie and worm if that's the area you were targeting. weed pockets are still number one in rice for walleyes though! kinda hard to troll crankbaits in the weeds!