A day in the life

ecxstriper

What a strange day, I want to be down on the surf nice an early, but I over slept. I wasn’t sure if I want to even go after waking up 3 hrs to late , so after two buddies stop by and wanted to know why I wasn’t out fishing ( they don’t fish . It was Sunday and summer) I decided to go. I drive the 45 minutes to my favorite tackle shop for some fresh Bunker and other items. While backing up in the parking lot the Accelerator pedal sticks and I back into an old wooden b oat that the shop uses for a sign after going in and talking to the owner of the shop we decide that next weekend I will repair the damage done. I make my purchases and walk out into a monsoon at this point I'm thinking of turning around and going home, but with the price of gas these days I decide to stick around and see if it stops. It stops raining after 30 minutes and I drive on down to the beach. I needed to buy an overnight pass (I fish at a National park) while filling out the paper work I can’t find my insurance card so no overnight pass. The Stripers have been coming to the beach around sundown which is about the time I’ll be leaving. So I get out the my favorite day time stretch of beach, set up my gear and make my first cast and my favorite small plug rod snaps in have . The 1 0z Ava jig I was throwing did manage to get picked up by a Sea Robin (a small fish not good for much except for cat food). I’m starting to think all this is a sign from up above that I shouldn’t be out to day. I press on not being one to give up that easy and after setting up my bait sticks (big rods that can handle a lot of weight) the sky’s open up again with lighting strikes everywhere. There is no way I’m leaving now, I have driven to far and walk the ½ mile to my spot to turn around and walk back to my truck. Fortunately I had the forethought to bag up my wallet, phone and shoes. It rained for about an hour in which time I did manage to land a nice Flounder, I however forgot to put my measuring tape in the gear bag (duh) so back it went. The rain finally let up and I got back to some serious fishing, when the reel on one of my bait rods stops working. I switched the reel from the broken rod for the rod with the broken reel and get back to fishing. The rest of the day went a bit more smoothly, while the action was all Sea Robins, one small Bluefish (14”) and one more flounder which was probably ok to keep but with the day I was having I wasn’t going to press my luck. As the day draws to an end I pack up my gear and discover a 3 0z ava jig that I forgot about so I decide to finish packing up and then give this jig a few cast before making the trek back to my truck . I set up my 10’ conventional rod and reel (I can cast this setup about 150 yards out) and start firing cast out into the surf. I looked to my right and saw a large flock of birds working just inside casting range. The first cast gets hammered by a nice size Blue fish around 26”. This one gets released and I fire out another cast and this cast get really clobbered I fight this fish to a standstill before it shakes the hook loose oh well. I make three more cast and land three more nice size Blue Fish. I love catching these scrappers in the surf while they don’t have the power of a Striper the make up for it in speed and tenacity. I kept the last one the single hook on my jig tore a bad hole in under its gills. So to wrap up this tale all’s well that ends well. I spent a day on the water caught some fish and got a nice sun tan. As I’m typing this report up I’m drinking a Captain and Coke eating some broiled Bluefish and watching a bucket fill up with water that is leaking from the apartment upstairs on to my bed. I will say I had a good day and it might be trite but “A bad Day fishing is still a pretty good day"

snapperandcocktail-1.jpg

If you look close you can see the damage doneto  the lagre fish . However it still tasted great !! :thumbsup_anim:

Wow...after all that, I'm not even sure if I'd have stayed out there! You did great bro-in-law....especially considering the conditions/equipment failure you had to endure! You going fishing again soon? LOL.

Next year, you are coming to Lakair....you'll have a blast!