Lake Nipissing fishing tips please.

wvmedic

Hello all, I am hoping to get some tips from those in the know.

I will be at Lakair with my wife, brother and his wife the first week of August and was wondering if you could provide me with some tips.

I’m not asking for the location of you’re honey hole, just some general areas to try weed edges and the like and what type of presentation, like drop shooting, spinners, spoons or just plain split shot and hook with a crawler.

What we will be targeting is Pike first and foremost as well as Walleyes and Perch, now we are not looking for trophy fish just good catch able numbers.

I am renting a boat from Kevin so no electronics, I did order a map from him and it is in the mail and hopefully will be able to recognize humps and points to help us locate good spots. Also I am a very new to fishing like this. I have been on Nipissing about five times when I was a kid and always fished were my Step Dad and Grandfather setup, so as far as locating good spots I’m about as green as they come. I have been scouring the net to learn as much as I can but some times all of that stuff is a bit confusing.

We do practice catch and release but I will probably keep a few Perch for eating, but other than that they all go back in the lake.

What I have so far in the line of gear is Mepps spinners, silver minnow spoons for trolling, a couple shad raps and jigs of different colors with plastic grubs and minnow bodies.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff…

The Mepps spinners will serve you well. A few spinner baits with a little chartruese in 'em wouldn't hurt either. Cast along the flats adjacent to weeds, reeds, and to the rocky shorelines in between and you should see some action. Nothing fancy, just cover water. I was fishing the shoreline, threw one out in the middle of the small bay I was in, and scored a 38" pike. Have a good one, Andy

I hear you Glen. I love looking over all of the pics from the G2G, looks like fun. Maybe one day I will get to meet some of you in person, I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks hogman3006 looks like it would catch fish.

I'm checking in between Ambulance calls, as I'm on duty tonight.

Jeff.

The locals all go to the big open water, across the lake around the Goose, Blueberry, and Fisherman's Islands to fish. Out by the French River. ;) If you putts around the West Arm you may happen into a Large Musky, or some scrawny 'hammer handle' Pike, and the incidental Walleye. When I used to live up there we could never figure out what the 'Americans' were doing fishing the inner waters of the 'Bay'. :dunno: Many would be ecstatic over stringers of panfish, and small Pike. :huh:

I'm going to be up there that week also. Maybe I will swing by the lodge to say hi and go over the map with you to try to steer you right. I think Lew is back up there around then too. Lew ... let's get together and swap some info buddy. Looking forward to meeting you both. :thumbsup_anim: