boat sunk

Ok weekend hasnt been good at all so far!

Went outside to make sure garage was closed and thought i better take a peek at boat to see how much water was in it from the rain......

well when i looked at where boat was!!! only nose was sticking outa water......

rain filled up back and slid down into river ..........

first time ive left it unchained to tree............go figure eh

anyways............ motor was underwater.............batter and so on.......

anything i should do?

i pulled it upto shore with truck and pulled plug.......... took battery outa battery box.....

now how about the motor? Is it toast? or need to be taken in? Ok to try to start?

20hp with electric start.

tore alot of wires off when pulling battery out..............kinda stressen out i guess..

Now its dark and im kinda wondering if i screwed up the bottom of boat pulling it on shore to............

Boat was heavy full of water......... truck was working hard and also tore up lawn......

ive almost had enough of this weekend....... :wallbash:

yah if it has electric start you should probaly take it in i wouldnt think it would be good to try and start it there ment to be in rain but i dunno about the bottom of the lake and you should think about putting in a auto bilge

will load it up and take to marina in morning.............errr

hope i didnt smush in bottom of boat pulling it up full of water...............

going to go look with flashlight i guess or its going to drive me all night..........

i thought aluminum boats cant sink? or am i wrong?

3/4 of boat was under water...........its a very steep drop and boat was under water upto the first seat at front.

Nice feeling in your stomach to see ill tell ya............gas tank floating around by hose!!!

Thats what i always thought to.......

I know they told my dad that when he bought his lund.....

Took flashlight out and i did smush in the bottom a bit coming over a hump of stuff the beaver made ..........errrrrr

dosent look to bad from what i can see.......

Once you got the top of the transom above the waterline you should've bailed her out before pulling it the rest of the way out. This would've greatly reduced the risk of damage to the boat and yard.

Google submerged outboard motor and see what you come up with.

lol

what can ya do..........

frustrated for sure........... everyone is alive and well on the upside.

Neighbour that is responsible for dog is moving out as we speak.......... wife musta kicked him out....

Boat.........well ill drop it off in morning and see what the good news is.

All in all...............ive learned two things.

1. Dont be lazy and say ill bail the water out when its done raining......

2. Dont trust any animal even though owners ensure you there pets are fine with childern :)

The grass............it will grow back :)

lol

what can ya do..........

frustrated for sure........... everyone is alive and well on the upside.

Neighbour that is responsible for dog is moving out as we speak.......... wife musta kicked him out....

Boat.........well ill drop it off in morning and see what the good news is.

All in all...............ive learned two things.

1. Dont be lazy and say ill bail the water out when its done raining......

2. Dont trust any animal even though owners ensure you there pets are fine with childern :)

The grass............it will grow back :)

It's great to see you keeping it all in perspective!

A few years ago, I remember work was stressful, money was tight, tension at home.

Then a good friend of mine at the office told me his wife had just been diagnosed with cancer.

Talk about a reality check.

not a good situation.

You should have been more careful with the wiring because the first thing you should have done when it as out of the water was try to start it.

You probably needed to change out the battery, dry out the plugs and wires first, but it's critical to do everything you can to get it running shortly after it comes out. Now that it's been sitting, you shouldn't even try turning it over and you're definitely looking at a rebuild.

I was unable to find the thread that was posted here on OFC...maybe someone else remembers it?

OK...could not find hte thread here but I have my 4 stroke merc efi service manual here:

submerged while running....bad...but yours is not so:\

1) do not start engine

2) flush exterior of outboard with fresh water to remove mud, weedds etc

3) remove spark plugs and get as much water as possible out of the powerhead...most water can be drained by putting motor horizontal

4) drain water from fuel system:

a) disconnect remote hose

B) loosen drain screw of vapor separator and drain fuel water into suitable contaner....then tighten drain screw

c) release fuel pressure ...there is another section in the manual for this...do you have an EFI?

d) remove fuel distribution manifold and empty contents into suitable container...inspect and clean fuel injectors...reinstall fuel injectors

e) empty contents of water/fuel speperator

5)Change engine oil and filter<<<<run for short time and check for water again...redo if required.

6) pour alcohol into the engine and through teh throttle body, alcohol absorbs the water

....rotate flywheel (again?)

7) turn engien over and pour alcohol into spark plug openings and rotate the flywhell

8)turn engine over wiht the spark plug openings down remove the manifold plus and pour ingine oil into the intake manifold plug holes while rotating hte flywheel to distribute throughout the crankcase

9) again turn the engine over and pour approx one teaspoon of engine oil into each spark plug opening...rotate flywheel to distribute

10) remove and clean the intake manifold assembly and fuel pump assembly

11) dry all wiring and electric using compressed air (compressed is better than cold hairdryer air

12) disassemble the engine starter motor and dry the brush contacts armature and othe rcorrodible parts

13) reinstall spark plugsc

14) attempt to start engine

15) after a short run recheck engine oil for water

I am not a mechanic by any means....will check back if you want more detail from manual

good luck

forrest

Edited by forrest

BTW: when I said turn over in the above post I meant to physically flip the engine over....don't try to start it!

final important note in manual:

"Engine should be started withing 2 hours after recovery of outboard from water, or serious internal damage may occur. If unable to start engine in this period, disassemble engine and clean all parts...apply oil as soon as possible."

forrest

Thanks forrest,

mine is not EFI.

I pulled plugs out before you posted and sprayed wd-40 into both cylinders.

I also pulled over motor a few times and sprayed more wd-40. (nice to have pull start and electric start)

Also soaked whole engine in WD-40.

All out of WD-40 now though.

Going to run out and take off boat and lay it horizontal in garage.

Thanks forrest,

mine is not EFI.

I pulled plugs out before you posted and sprayed wd-40 into both cylinders.

I also pulled over motor a few times and sprayed more wd-40. (nice to have pull start and electric start)

Also soaked whole engine in WD-40.

All out of WD-40 now though.

Going to run out and take off boat and lay it horizontal in garage.

np.....I knew this service manual would come in handy........this forum is great for this emergency type stuff.

forrest

Ah,...didn't see the details and didn't know it was going on now.

I hope it starts for you, it'll save you a whack of money for the rebuild. You'd be surprised to see how fast the high carbon metals start rust like the rings and sleeves. I guess nobody here had a dirt bike or 3-4 wheeler when they were young? I can't count the number of times i went through a stream that was a little deeper than i thought. :D