Special carp corn?

All you carpers out there,

Just a quick question. Where would you recommend I could go to get some carp bait - "special corn", boilies, etc.?

I saw Big Bob's online products. Anyone retail this stuff in the GTA?

Also, do the specialized carp baits work that much better than normal stuff?

I've looked at tons of "how-to" stuff online but I don't think I'll go there.

First, because I'm kind of lazy and have little time. Second, I don't get out enough and a lot of this stuff is "don't freeze it, keeps two weeks".

Anyway, if anyone can recommend any products that are preserved that I can store for some time and that you think would produce a little better than standard sweet corn can you please shoot me a reply?

Thanks,

MOB

Alot of us uses field corn aka maize. You can buy them at farm supply stores ... 40kg bag for approx $12-13. It'll last you quite some time. One good thing about this is that the gobies in the water won't be able to strip it off your hook as easy as canned corn. Some people soak it for a couple days before using it, others boil'em for about an hour. Another good thing about maize is that you can put your own flavours into it. Take a look at Rich's thread...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry217507

Many carpers use and swear by the specialize carp bait ... I have the most confidence in maize and that's what I use most of the time. So far, out of the many sessions I have fished with other carpers, I have yet to have another carper outfish me by a big margin when I'm using maize and they're using something else. (well I lied, I have this year but when I switched over to a bollie I still didn't catch a thing, so who knows). There has been many debates between carpers on what's the "best" bait, the general consensus is that boillies produce bigger fish while particle baits produce more numbers. That is still an open-ended debate though ...

As for where to buy this stuff ... maize: search up some carp threads here on OFC, photoz (steve) knows all the location in and around TO where you can buy it ... he mentioned it quite a few times when people were asking about it ... these threads should be around apr/may this year. Specialized carp bait ... there's "Bill's bait and tackle" and "Fishing World" in hamilton ... Angling Specialities have them as well. (They have stores at Scarborough, Missisauga, Concord I believe, google it)

Good luck!

My daughter and i use use wonder bread (brand) and Del Monte corn(tinned) most of the time on a #10 or #12 hook.

I was fishing with a guy last Friday night and he was using oatmeal mixed with peanut butter and sugar... outfished me 5-1 ! :o

now go "git er duuun" ! :Gonefishing:

Hey guys, Thanks!

Victor, your wealth of knowledge is really helpful - much appreciated. 'Nother quick related question....

As for hair rigs, do you think I still benefit from the rig if I don't have a baitrunner reel?

The reason I ask is that, based on my current setup, the carp definitely know they're hooked soon after they take the bait. Although I use a sliding sinker, my line is pretty taught and so the fish only have my bait in their mouth for a few secs before my rod arches and I reef on it to set the hook.

With a hair rig, can I set the hook this quickly or do I need to let it run with it a bit.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

MOB

Hey guys, Thanks!

Victor, your wealth of knowledge is really helpful - much appreciated. 'Nother quick related question....

As for hair rigs, do you think I still benefit from the rig if I don't have a baitrunner reel?

The reason I ask is that, based on my current setup, the carp definitely know they're hooked soon after they take the bait. Although I use a sliding sinker, my line is pretty taught and so the fish only have my bait in their mouth for a few secs before my rod arches and I reef on it to set the hook.

With a hair rig, can I set the hook this quickly or do I need to let it run with it a bit.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

MOB

let them take the bait...

carp pick up their food and kinda mouth it in their front gums before they decide to take it to the back of their mouth where their teeth are.

In theory the hair rig is supposed to let the carp take the bait and when they try to spit it out, the hook gets set automatically by the "backwards" action of the trailing hook.

hope this helps

splashhopper

PS.. i am still VERY new at this, carp fishing, too and this board has some excellent carpers on it that have not steered me wrong.

There is only one place to get Big Bob's, it is exclusive to Fishing World. Once you use this flavoured corn you won't go back. 3 of us caught over 130 carp in 14hrs on Big Bob's corn alone. I have all 13 flavours and caught multiple fish on each one. If you want to see carp picture caught on Big Bob's go to http://photos.ontariocarphunters.com/ all the albums that say Dover, we only used Big Bob's corn and ground bait. Fishing world does sell boilies made by D.A.M and royal carp.

If you want additional info feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and check out www.ontariocarphunters.com, We have give aways on the bank to promote carp fishing, if you see us (wearing our OCH vest) don't hesitate.

Daniel

OCH

Big Bob's corn won me a couple bucks on the grand river the other day.

If your in Niagara Big Bob's is also Available here, let's not forget Top-Mix as well as D.A.M and many other carp products.

P1090166.jpg

let them take the bait...

carp pick up their food and kinda mouth it in their front gums before they decide to take it to the back of their mouth where their teeth are.

In theory the hair rig is supposed to let the carp take the bait and when they try to spit it out, the hook gets set automatically by the "backwards" action of the trailing hook.

hope this helps

splashhopper

PS.. i am still VERY new at this, carp fishing, too and this board has some excellent carpers on it that have not steered me wrong.

The hair rig is actually designed to turn in the mouth, the weight is what sets it in. That is the bolt rig, and to use it effectively you use a min of 2oz lead, with the swivel jammed into the lead. It's all here http://boltinline.ontariocarphunters.com/

Daniel

OCH

Awesome carpers - thanks a lot for the tips. I'll be checking out those websites DanielM.

As for the hair rigs, do you think it'll improve my hook ups even if I'm not using carp-specific gear (eg: no bait runner)?

It will improve the hook ups, as the hook turns in the mouth, which makes it harder to spit out. Even with all the stuff I use, I miss fish.

Try the hair rig, and take a look at the bolt rig (deadly) here http://boltinline.ontariocarphunters.com/, bolt rig will improve hook up, but without a runner reel, keep you hand on the rod.

Any other Q's feel free to PM me.

Daniel

OCH

Awesome carpers - thanks a lot for the tips. I'll be checking out those websites DanielM.

As for the hair rigs, do you think it'll improve my hook ups even if I'm not using carp-specific gear (eg: no bait runner)?

A properly tied hair rig IMO improves hookups. As Daniel has mentioned, when a carp sucks up your bait and tension is applied to the rig, the hook will flip (or turn over) in the carps mouth and grab onto any flesh available. This usually entails nailing the carp on its bottom lip (a spot in the mouth more conducive to higher landing percentages). Variations to the hair rig like the D-rig and blow-back rig involve making the hookpoint "heavy" as the carp tries to eject the bait. The bait itself adds "oomph" to the 'hook set'.

Despite popular misconception, a baitrunner will NOT help you land or hook more fish. It also doesn't present the bait any more natural than a reel without one. In many instances, for example, when fishing close to snags, I have my baitrunner disengaged and my drag set ultra tight - Mind you I am very very close to my rod. Fishing in heavy current I have my baitrunner set on maximum tension (which is almost like setting your drag to mod tension). If I'm using a running rig, I simply throw additional slack into the line and have my baitrunner set moderately light to prevent an over run when the fish takes. I have yet to find a situation where I need to set a baitrunner ultra light.

If you want to simulate the 'free-spool' nature of a baitrunner, you can simply loosen your drag on a standard reel.

A baitrunner will however help prevent you losing a rod when you set it down and turn your back to do something.

I have never own a baitrunner reel and have landed tons of carp using a reel that has a good drag.

However, one of my friend almost lost his $150 rod and reel setup while not paying attention and doing something else. I was standing 10 feet away when I saw the rod first fell down off the rail, then came back up again on its way out towards the water, by the time I was able to grab it, the reel section of the rod kind of got stuck on the rail, was able to give me split more seconds to grab it before completly losing it. This all happen within 5-7 seconds time frame.

I heard about how people lose their rod during carp fishing, until I personally had witness how powerful this fish were, I would think twice of leaving my rod unattended.

Hair rig is a must and easy to tie, more chance of hooking the fish.

Great stuff guys, thanks for the rigging tips. The benefit of my boat-bound carp missions is that I can use my rod holder. The rod actually sits vertically with a long cast of line out.

When the fish hits, the rod buckles like crazy and drag starts to peel off my reel (Pflueger President, love it) but the butt end of my rod is deep enough in the holder that there is no risk of the rod popping out.

The only real issue I have found is that it's been tough to get a great hook set as there is a ton of pressure on the rod when I pick it up.

I will definitely check the new rigging set ups you guys suggest.

DanielM - the bolt rig looks like a serious apparatus. Can you get away with a 1 oz. weight? Chucking 2 ounces would be tough on my 7'M spinning rod.

Thanks again gents!

Cheers,

MOB

Great stuff guys, thanks for the rigging tips. The benefit of my boat-bound carp missions is that I can use my rod holder. The rod actually sits vertically with a long cast of line out.

When the fish hits, the rod buckles like crazy and drag starts to peel off my reel (Pflueger President, love it) but the butt end of my rod is deep enough in the holder that there is no risk of the rod popping out.

The only real issue I have found is that it's been tough to get a great hook set as there is a ton of pressure on the rod when I pick it up.

I will definitely check the new rigging set ups you guys suggest.

DanielM - the bolt rig looks like a serious apparatus. Can you get away with a 1 oz. weight? Chucking 2 ounces would be tough on my 7'M spinning rod.

Thanks again gents!

Cheers,

MOB

You can get away with it, but the 1oz won't set the hook as good as you would like. I use 1 1/2oz, penetration is decent, but not great. also, when you set the hook on a running fish, don't bass it, you will rip the mouth and lose the fish. I set the hook in a steady sweep up motion.

I am thinking of selling a brand new D.A.M carp rod with sleeve, and possibley an okuma runner reel w/2 spools, one braid the other mono. If anyone is interested.

Daniel

OCH

If you are without a baitrunner I recommend turning the drag really loose on your reel, then clamping down on the spool when you finally set the hook. Just as good as a bait runner, just a lot of extra annoying steps. At first you will lose fish because you will fumble with it. Once you set hook you have to re-adjust the drag. Takes practice, but it does work. I'd still rather have a Baitrunner though!

You can get away with it, but the 1oz won't set the hook as good as you would like. I use 1 1/2oz, penetration is decent, but not great. also, when you set the hook on a running fish, don't bass it, you will rip the mouth and lose the fish. I set the hook in a steady sweep up motion.

I am thinking of selling a brand new D.A.M carp rod with sleeve, and possibley an okuma runner reel w/2 spools, one braid the other mono. If anyone is interested.

Daniel

OCH

hmm..."don't bass it", "but a steady swep" just might be why i am missing so many hits the opast ten days///

patience Splashhopper patience! lol