Maize aka Feed Corn for carp

Rich

I bought 20lbs of this stuff from the local feed store in hopes of saving money on carp bait this season.

I boiled the stuff in a brown sugar/sugar solution I normally use for frozen corn, however after 20 minutes of boiling it still stayed hard as a rock, and cracked when I attempted to rig it.

Is there a better way to soften this corn? Hope I didn't waste my time buying this stuff to end up feeding it to the birds, LOL

I bought 20lbs of this stuff from the local feed store in hopes of saving money on carp bait this season.

I boiled the stuff in a brown sugar/sugar solution I normally use for frozen corn, however after 20 minutes of boiling it still stayed hard as a rock, and cracked when I attempted to rig it.

Is there a better way to soften this corn? Hope I didn't waste my time buying this stuff to end up feeding it to the birds, LOL

Didn't they say to let it soak for 48 hours after the initial boil?

JF

2 ways.

1. pressure cooker. Put 1/4 corn in the cooker and 3/4 water and sugar. When the valve pops, let it boil for 30mins, no more. Run it under cold water till the lock releases and put it in a bucket with the boiled water.

2. Let corn soak for 24hrs in water, boil for 1-2hrs, don't let it crack open. Place in bucket with boiled/flavored

water. Done.

3. Big Bob's corn at Fishing World, great bait for right on the hook. Mussel and banana work great in Dover.

4. Use a hair rig http://hairrig.ontariocarphunters.com/

Maize is hard to use as a bait right on the hook. But if you follow on of these steps, you will be ok.

Hope this helps

Daniel

OCH

I have yet to have that happened to me yet ... last season I boiled them for about 45-60minutes and they soften up real good, rarely had any of them crack. When I put it on my hair though, I usually try to find the better kernels.

This year I've been soaking'em ... the bucket that I soaked back in early May still got leftover lol ... it's fermenting real good but the carp don't seem to have a problem with them ... it might be even better ... who doesn't like free alcohol 8-) haha