Toronto Islands Question

kayak fisher

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. This board is great, a wealth of information! I am sure I have run into many of you around Toronto, as I do quite a bit of fishing.

Does anyone know of any good places to fish in toronto right now? I fish at the Islands for pike and carp during the fall, but I have no idea what is around to fish for in January....Usually I am ice fishing at this time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I guess that I should get my kayak out again??? Crazy weather.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try the islands on Monday or Tuesday. I normally use crankbaits for pike down there, do you have any other suggested baits? I usually don't have much luck with spinnerbaits or spinners. Also, i have no idea what twitch or jerk baits are. Are these the soft bodied plastics that people pitch under docks for bass?

Thanks for your help

Once again, thanks for the info. The weather forecasts are usually somewhat flawed, so I think I will take my chances (and raingear/gloves/hat). Urban, thanks for the pics and the explanation, those are what I meant by crankbaits, so we are on the same page. I will take some spinners too.

Of course if anybody wants to join me, all are welcome.

Thanks again, what a nice introduction to this board!

Once again, thanks for the info. The weather forecasts are usually somewhat flawed, so I think I will take my chances (and raingear/gloves/hat). Urban, thanks for the pics and the explanation, those are what I meant by crankbaits, so we are on the same page. I will take some spinners too.

Of course if anybody wants to join me, all are welcome.

Thanks again, what a nice introduction to this board!

To Shorten or Narrow down your search...if you're going after pike... and because we like fishing reports and pics :lol: I recommend Halan's Point. Its the only place I found deep weeds right at the channel last time I was there.

dsn

Good Luck!!

I was looking around to see where these spots (Hanlans and Wards points) were and found a very simple (tourism) map. Follow this link http://www.toronto.ca/parks/pdf/island/tor..._island_map.pdf .Where's the best spot in the spring/summer? :Gonefishing:

hey kenny, spring for pike right after season reopens i think long pond is best, the stretch between the white bridge and grandstand, and behind the old church. I fish bass in the summer and have got some nice ones, trout pond is best bet, under docks, and lily pads.

Edited by urbanangler1990

hey kenny, spring for pike right after season reopens i think long pond is best, the stretch between the white bridge and grandstand, and behind the old church. I fish bass in the summer and have got some nice ones, trout pond is best bet, under docks, and lily pads.

Hi Urbanangler.Thanks for the reply. I have never fished there..... actually anywhere near there,but I think I'll give it a go in the spring. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It's alot better than just taking a stab in the dark. A while ago I would have never thought to fish near a huge city,but seeing the success some of the members here are having, from pike and bass in Toronto to musky in Detroit, I'm learning. I really am learning a ton and thanks to you and everyone else willing to help here, you are making me a better,smarter angler (I hope :unsure: ). Now if I could just get more people to post what bait (lure) they used when they report a successful day on the water. ;) Thanks again,much appreciated.

Kennyman...I've had some luck lately with crank baits...rattling and some jointed for pike. Not sure if this is the preferred, but it's what I've had luck with...oh yeah...I caught them at night, so in the daylight, something else may work better.

Thanks again Cliff (from the Shire near the River Gumbleberryhumdingerwalleye) . Not only are you a great source of knowledge for everyone here,but a source of inspiration. I can't see too many people from this board not wanting to fish the BOQ next fall after your success this year. Maybe you should teach a "seminar" at one of the local shows. Why not? Not that others didn't have any success, but you seemed to consistently get big fish. You're doing something right. You are " the walleye hunter".

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kennyman, but I'm not the seminar type!! hehe. Blyght and I have landed about fifteen 10+ pound walleye's this fall from shore. We had one night where we pulled in 5. We've probably gone out at least 35-40 times, so do the math...we are skunked most nights....LOL.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kennyman, but I'm not the seminar type!! hehe. Blyght and I have landed about fifteen 10+ pound walleye's this fall from shore. We had one night where we pulled in 5. We've probably gone out at least 35-40 times, so do the math...we are skunked most nights....LOL.

If I get fifteen- 10+ pounders I don't mind your math at all. :worthy: