1 Day before Father's Day Tournament

wgk36

I've been looking forward to this tournament for months. As many of you know, I do alot of fishing with Mike the Pike, but Saturday was to be my first tournament with my son Andrew since getting the new boat.

100_0145.jpg

To make it extra special, it fell on Father's Day weekend.

The day started off early at 4:00 am. for me, and 4:30 am for Andrew :sleeping_02: . You see, Andrew is in grade seven (secondary I) and finished his last exam on Friday. Contrary to my advise, he decided to stay up late (midnight) and celebrate the beginning of his 2 month vacation. I was actually impressed, as he only nodded off after the tournament, on the way home, somewhere around 4:00 pm :clapping:

Of course, once on the water, the first thing Andrew wanted to do, was drive the boat. He got his boater's card last year when I still had the 12' tinny. I was hesitant, as the motor is still in the break-in stage, but what the heck, he is so excited. Once away from the dock, we changed positions, and he was given strict instructions on what to do, and what not to do.

100_0142.jpg

We started trolling the main pleasure craft channel, further upstream. We wanted to fish the dropoff before the day's traffic increased. Within minutes, we began seeing large pike jump not far from the boat. At this point, we were sure that we were on the verge of a BIG STRIKE.....So after a good 45 minutes of not even a nibble, we decided to try somewhere else. We found a little creek, and managed to get a couple of snot rockets. Nothing to brag about, but at least the skunk was out of the boat.

Further up river, just before noon, is when I hooked into my PB pike (29", 5.57 lbs) (Sorry team, no upgrade today).

100_0143.jpg

He nailed my lure but good. It took me at least 5 minutes to get it out. Although his gill plate was fine, he was bleeding quite a bit from the bottom of his mouth. Being a catch and release tournament, I didn't want to chance him expiring, so I headed in to the scale. At that time, I was in the lead. I decided to take a picture. I was pretty sure that my name wouldn't be there at the end of the day.

100_0144.jpg

I had left the docks in the morning with at least 3/4 of a 5 gallon tank. Now, by 12:30, I was down to 1/4 tank. I realise that my Honda 40HP 4S is probably using more fuel because of the break-in period, but I was surprised. Luckily, I found a marina that wasn't gauging. I paid $1.49/L. The gas station price in Montreal was $1.45/L over the weekend.

At this point, we only had a couple of hours left. We decided to try the two previous spots that had paid off earlier in the day. Although it was not a big fish, it was still a MOMENTOUS :thumbsup_anim: occasion, as Andrew caught his FIRST eye.

100_0151.jpg

Our fishing day soon came to an end. We packed up the boat and headed home for a quick shower before returning to the evening super and prizes. I like this tournament because everyone gets a door prize. Although I didn't win the Princecraft Fisherman boat, motor, trailer package, I did get myself a good set of bumpers for the new boat. Andrew got a 12V / 110 converter that will come in handy on long rides.

All-in-all we had a GREAT DAY. We spent time together, caught some fish, had a good meal, and even won a couple of prizes.

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats on the personal best! And congrats to your son on his first eye! I wouldn't be able to sleep the day before a tournament either. Was going to give it a try this year but my partner got sick! :wallbash:

Anyways, enjoy the new ride and thanks for the report!

Oops bud I missed your report I have not been on lately.

Nice fat pike congrats on your PB.I am hoping to break into the double digits this year.

:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: Nice boat too :whistling:

Haven't been on lately, so you're making up for it by posting twice on peoples reports?? LOL

Haven't been on lately, so you're making up for it by posting twice on peoples reports?? LOL

I see ya missed me .Nope had a problem the site was not letting it go through had a message pop up from our site.

So I tried a few times and over posted .Don't worry Cliff I have a long way to go to catch up to you :whistling: