Kids get hooked on fishing fun

kickingfrog

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDi...Y+KELLY+MCSHANE

Barrie Examiner article:

Kids get hooked on fishing fun

KIDS FISHING DAY

Posted By BY KELLY MCSHANE

Posted 2 hours ago

Children across the region grabbed their fishing pole and headed to the lake to join in the Rotary Club of Barrie- Kempenfelt's fourth annual kids' fishing day.

"My dad took me out fishing when I was a kid, so it's nice to bring my son out to teach him (to fish)," said Jeff Millan of Barrie, while fishing with his son, Liam, who turned 10 yesterday.

The rotary club offered the event free of charge to kids aged 13 or under at the Heritage Park shoreline from 9 a. m. to 1 p. m. All the little guys and gals needed were a fishing rod, weather-appropriate clothing and a guardian. The club supplied the bait, as well as oodles of entertainment, including crafts, games and a kids' fun park.

"They gave him a little fishing kit with everything he needed. We just had to bring a rod. It's a pretty good deal," Millan said, adding the wonderful weather made the day even better.

The goal of the event is to offer children the opportunity to experience fishing and learn about conservation.

"We liked that they included the younger kids with all of the toys and bouncy rides," Walter Seibt, of Barrie, said. Seibt and his wife, Judy, brought their 21-month old son, Noah, to the waterfront for some fishing.

"He was more interested in the snow cones and face painting. We'll be back next year when he's a little older," Judy said.

Last year, approximately 1,600 children participated in the big day, and this year looked just as successful. The waterfront was overflowing with grinning kids carrying their own catch of the day.

Those without a fishing rod weren't excluded. The first 200 registrants were given a free fishing rod and some rods and tackle were available on a loan basis by the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

"We'll definitely be back next year," agreed Millan and his son, Liam. They said they had a blast all day.