Boat Paperwork

Guest Lundboy is Done

Guest lundboy

Since there was recent thread about boat licensing, I thought I better update my address on my license. Going through the FAQs on Service Canada, I noticed it said that I need to carry proof of ownership aboard. The only proof I have is the bill of sale.

Any of these documents are fairly important and I would not want to carry the originals. Has anyone had any hassels carrying photocopies of the originals if you have been asked to produce them?

From what I see these things need to be with the boat(er) at all times:

-Pleasure Craft Operators card

-Boat License from Service Canada or Canada Customs

-Proof of Ownership (Bill of Sale)

Other

-Trailer Registration (In tow vehicle)

Anything I've left out?

When I registered the boat with Service Canada, they gave me my numbers and a sheet that states the boat is in my name. The sheet is a full 8" x 11", which is'nt ideal for keeping dry on all boats. The top part of the sheet is the important part, so I scanned it and shrunk it down to two sizes. Half size, and a wallet size. I then laminated both of them. They are still readable and stay dry, and I keep the original at home. I don't think you need a bill of sale, as you need one to register the boat anyways. I have insurance but don't have a card like my vehicles. Its not required anyways. The lady at Service Canada told me that there shouldn't be a problem with a photocopy. Plus, the sheet were given is printed off on normal paper, so they wouldn't be able to tell if its a photocopy or not....unless it was shrunken down and laminated...:0

Edited by robw

Would the bill of sale and boat license be useful to a criminal that stole a boat? Not sure if it is a concern, thinking possibly for registering the boat somewhere else or even to sell the boat to an unsuspecting person?

I heard there is no central registry of stolen boats HIN's similar to a cars VIN, heard a horror story of a person who bought and registered a stolen boat-then found out it was stolen when applying for insurance.

Keep my boat registration well hidden up behind the dash in a baggy in case police ever demand it.....bill of sales at home.

I carry the boat insurance, boat registration, and trailer registration cards in the truck (originals). I also carry a photocopy of each one in the boat itself. I'm never all that far from the launch, so if they want to see the originals, they ain;t that far away.

I have photo copies of all my papers with me. We keep all this stuff, fishing lic., wallet, car keys,etc. All in a waterproof stuff sack. That way everything is together and we know we have it because the key to the boat goes in it when we are not using it. Also keep the phone and camera in here when it is rainy. This way all we have to do is grab the "boat bag" and we know we have everything.

Guest lundboy
The bill of sale is required to get the boat licence number on the side of the boat. The licence number can be looked up by the boat cops to verify ownership. So why would a person need to carry the bill of sale?

forrest

That would make sense... but this is directly off of the Services Canada Web:

"The Pleasure Craft Licence is free of charge, and is transferable to any subsequent owner of the vessel. The licence must be carried on board the vessel at all times. However, a licence is not a title document. Operators must also carry other documents (such as a document that establishes ownership) to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine."

I could see if I was crossing the border, but it looks like proof of ownership must be carried in case of being asked for it "in case of fine"?

I have never been asked for any of the above mentioned paperwork. I probably should carry it but so far I never have.

This might be a crazy question, nonetheless, what does your boat insurance cover? Is it for personal liability due to injury to a passenger, property damage, damage to your own boat if you hit a shoal? Is it mandetory as with automobile insurance?

That would make sense... but this is directly off of the Services Canada Web:

"The Pleasure Craft Licence is free of charge, and is transferable to any subsequent owner of the vessel. The licence must be carried on board the vessel at all times. However, a licence is not a title document. Operators must also carry other documents (such as a document that establishes ownership) to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine."

I could see if I was crossing the border, but it looks like proof of ownership must be carried in case of being asked for it "in case of fine"?

The pleasure craft licence (a copy is sufficient) is all you need in your boat. This IS the document that the police will ask for when they stop you. There are no more free rides and if you do not have a copy on board, you will be fined.

Sometimes, too much is read into the "gobble de gook" that gets written in the rgulations.

Just JOHN