weeknd report SK

holdfast

So figuring we would canoe on Saturday I got the gear ready and loaded. When Rodger arrived we decided it was going to be too windy for the Canoe. Since I gave him the choice of any lakes he decided we should try Deep Lake. I drive by that lake always when I go to Big River and always wondered about the fishing, It borders the Reservation so it could of been netted out for all I know. Rodger assured me there was good fishing. Well off we wet and when I wanted to Launch my tires were spinning in the sand so we decided not to Launch. So off to Hackett lake again.

So now this is the second weekend going to the lake. We made a good decision as the wind had picked up and it would of made the canoe trip the pits.

drivingboat.jpg

Rodger caught the first fish and it was a small jack. I caught one that size last week and another pike had almost split it in half when I was bringing it in. Rodger was using a spoon and I was going with a perch Rapala.

rodandPike.jpg

Another small Pike. We would end up catching about a dozen pike, all small and released to grow bigger.

rodgerandpike2.jpg

Of course my Rapala didnt fail me. Actually I never even changed baits at all.

robandpike2.jpg

robandsmallpike.jpg

At least I caught a walleye, the only one of the day. The most interesting part of the day was Rodger wanted to show me a house off the Beaten path that he thought was for sale. It was about 100 meters from the grid road with a million dollar view half surrounded by woods. I believe this could of been the house that was up for sale for $1,500 ,yea fifteen hundred dollars last year on the store bill board. Im kicking myself that I never even looked at it. It needs work, but cosmetic only. We also found a trappers cabin hidden across the lake that was also interesting. Apparently Rodger knew the owner of that cabin. A small simple log shelter. I wish I would have taken picture but I was sure wed have some nice fish photos but that was not to happen.

robandWalleye.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report.Thanks for sharing. How is the fishing pressure in Saskatchewan? Is there lots of big fish?

Edited by Johnny Bass

Barely anybody fishes the North Saskatchewan River and they say you could catch a huge walleye or Jack. There is sturgeon in there too. That River runs through North Battleford and you never see anybody fishing in a Boat. Sometime though shore fishing. I would say south there is alot of fishing pressure as there arent that many lakes. Then you got Diefenbaker and Tobin. They are huge. Id say the whole Sask population hit the 1 milloin mark this year. Where is everybody? Regina, Saskatoon, NorthBattleford, Lloydminster , Yorkten and the reservations, otherwise Rural. The problem isnt fishing pressure, its netting.