Saturday muskie

smbhunter

After much anticipation and lots of new gear purchased during the winter, I finally got out to properly fish for muskie. Prior to this I've only caught 1 muskie while actually fishing for them. Three of us headed out to the lake in the kawarthas with 2 boats, (1 boat rented and me in my 14' aluminum), at about 9 am.

We started off fishing close together with not much happening and then split up to cover more water. I continued to work the original weedline and as I reeled in my storm soft plastic I see a fish follow up and before I could go into the figure 8, the fish committed. A nice battle ensued with the fish and with my beckman pen net, (2 muskie baits got tangled in the net while I tried to get it ready), but the fish stayed hooked and was successfully netted and released, a nice 34" fish. Since I was alone in the boat, I couldn't get a good shot of the fish, but I tried. We fished a few more areas and ended up with 7 muskie between the three of us with one guy getting 5 of them toothy critters.

We took a break from the muskie and stopped for a little walleye action in mid afternoon for some nice table fare, catching 5 in about 20 minutes. I even had a large muskie take a walleye right off my hook. I threw back a storm bait and had a hit, but no hookup. Satisfied with our walleye catch we continued to fish for muskie.

My personal summary for the day, 1 muskie landed, 1 flash behind the bait (not quite sure what species), 2 follows, 1 OOS largie (hardest hit I had all day), 3 walleye landed, 1 walleye eaten by muskie, several rock bass (while fishing for walleye), and several very large sunfish in the 10"+ range (mostly hybrids but a couple nice pumpkinseeds).

All in all it was a great day on the water with great company, which is what fishing should be. :thumbsup_anim:

P.S. My buddy caught a 28" muskie with 2 very large open sores on the lower half of the body. Would this be VHS? I've seen many diseased fish with similar markings, but never with wide open sores like this one had.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Way to go Jason!!!

You continue to be one of my heroes! :D:D

Sounds like a fabulous day on the water. Were you fishing with anybody I know?

Gonna be hard to get rid of that old boat with all the memories attached to it!

I was fishing with Mr. Muskie himself and his buddy. Guess who caught the 5? I've been muskie fishing with him 4 times now and he has always landed at least one muskie each time.

It will be very difficult to get rid of this boat. With all the hard work put into it, the fish it has seen, and the fact that it is my first boat will all make it harder to part with.