Reel value

HTHM

I have a Shimano Z-02 spinning reel. The inside under the plastic spool has some rust on it and what appears to be salt deposits.

The gear housing is greasy and appears to work quite well yet. The bail moves freely, however it requires a good snap to close it .

Here are some pics:

shimano_z_02.jpg

shimano_Z02_1_.jpg

shimano_z02.jpg

Would anyone know the approximate age and value of this reel?

Edited by hometownhandyman

Not that I am an authority on this sort of thing, but it looks like a 15 year old reel that has served well, and can be relegated to the emergency backup pile....looks like a good excuse to go get something new :)

You need to crank it pretty hard to turn over because it's a manual bail. I would guess the reel is likely over 20-30 years old, at least that's the last time i saw that sort of non-offshore/surf reel with a manual bail like that on the stem. Modern VERY high end jigging reels, offshore, and surf reels still have manual bails but not like yours. Not worth fixing unless it has some meaning to you. You can find a better replacement at a garage sale. I'll bet that if you take off the bail roller, the shaft it's on will be worn down to the phosphor bronze metal, a brass looking metal.