PORTA-BOTE

sunfish

Came across this boat on the web. Nice little boat. My problem is that I have limited garage space and my little Subaru can not tow a whole lot. Its priced OK at around $2100.00

Does any have or know of this boat? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is link to the website www.ontarioportableboats.com

Hi - I stumbled on this looking for fishing info for the West Arm of Eagle Lake, On. Anyway, I have the older 12' version; it's about 18 years old. We've been very happy with it. The older version does not have a true transom and therefore cannot take as large of an engine, so I can't say anything about the newer design's performance. Durability and stability of mine has been excellent. Hope it helps - Richard

I saw a couple fishing from one everyday last winter in Arizona.

When I was in an apartment I had an inflatable for awhile. Everything went into a bag that fit in the backseat of my Camry.

Later I had a 16 foot bow-rider. I bought it a parking spot in the Grand River at Dunnville. That worked out quite well. The trailer was there if I wanted to go elsewhere. At the end of the season it went into storage.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to rent a garage. If you have space in your yard, Aluminum boats don't mind staying outside.

If you can't bring it inside, the outboard is easy to winterize. As far as towing goes, even a 16 foot tin-can doesn't weigh much. Check your owners manual.

if it's a light boat you are looking for that you can tow with a car so to speak, some tinners are pretty light, my 14 footer Legend Ultralite only weighs about 240lbs, just the boat, put the motor on and load up with fishin gear and you are probably still at only about 400lbs..I think just the boat..no motor or trailer brand new comes in at about 1500 bucks or so now,I had mine for 5 years now, it's the main boat I use at my camp since I left it there, and used it at home tonnes for some smaller water fishin, it's a good little boat..also comes in a 12 footer version, but with the 14 there lots of space for fishin gear and a couple people, 2 people can just pop it in the water pretty much any where you want....even lots of bigger boats do not weigh all that much. You would be surprized really even some boat packages do not weight that much depending on the towing capacity of your vehicle, I also have a Legend Viper..boat and motor come in at about 1000lbs together, has been towed with a car before without not much trouble.

Edited by jwl

I have also been looking a little 12 -14 footers. However, space is a real issue where I live. No space outside to store the boat either. That is why I have been looking at this foldable boat.

Thanks for the insight.

Cheers!

I bought a 20yr old one (12ft) used last year for $400. I really like it. I can assemble it in under 15min. Very handy. I have a one car garage, so the porta is perfect for me.

that a good deal. is comfortable? good to stand in? do you use it with motor or trolling or both...thanks

Mine isn't registered, so even though I own a trolling motor, I've been rowing on the three trips I've taken.

It is very quiet when rowed--nothing like my noisy, splashy jon boat.

It is comfortable and very stable. I stand most of the time, even with another guy in the boat. (I'm 6'1'' and 200lbs). You might need to get used to the flex in the hull, it is different for sure. I feel that it's very safe.

Try one out before you buy. You should see if the setup is something you want to deal with and that it meets your expectations on the water. I would also have no qualms buying used. I had to replace a few things on my 20yr old model. Everything is still available from the manufacturer/owner.

Hi Sunfish:

Just created an account to send a message to you.

I purchased 12.6 Porta Bote 1.5 years ago after I had done a lot of research. I match the boat with 46 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor for small and quite waters and conservation lakes. I use 5 horse power 4 stroke gas motor for relatively large waters.

If you go to US Porta Bote home page, you can order the gas motor from them directly. I ordered my gas motor last year (Nissan). It cost about $1400 Canadian dollars including shipping and handling. No tariff was levied due to NAFTA.

The boat is excellent if you do not have a storage space or do not want to tow a trailer. It is very stable and safe on small water and you will have no problem standing and casting. 46 lb thrust trolling motor has sufficient power to get you from point A to B. I usually bring two Deep Cycle batteries on the boat. One for fishing, one for stand-by and get me back to the shore if I fish whole day.

The boat may be a bit small in big and rough water. I purchased my cottage this year in Bay of Quinte where water is always choppy. I use my gas motor for windy days and trolling motor for calm morning or event outings. But I never got too far with my dock out of the sight. The boat is still quite safe. However, you shall not stand in the boat and big waves will make you feel scared (actually more on your nerve). If you hook a 40+ inch pike or musky, they will drag you and your boat all over the lake.

One thing to remember, the hull weighs around 70 pounds. I have no problem loading and unloading from the car top. However you may need a roomy car (I drive SUV) to take boat seats, transom, motors and oars when you travel.

After practicing several times, you can set up the boat within 10 minutes. I ordered the porta dolly for aiding the launch but never used them. I regularly abuse the boat by dragging and pushing it over the rocks, gravels, sands for launching from anywhere I want. The hull material is virtually indestructible.

Overall, if you seek a boat for small and quite water with no storage space, Porta Bote is way to go. Any question, please PM me.

Have fun out there.