How to find accesses to rivers

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guys,

just wonder how you guys find accesses @ different locations to rivers.

The ones I know are from people on the board or friends met on rivers ..

but sometimes I want to have a little adventure ..

This is what I have tried.

- Look at maps to see where the river goes

- Drive to closest spot where I might be able to park

and realize those are all private properties .. which

is not marked on the map ...

For example, I wanna try Whitesville on Duffins Creek ...

but still couldnt figure out how to get down there

Thanks!

And at the very worst, remember when you come across 'private property,' you can always knock on a door. I did this on the Grand River once and the people kindly let me fish what looked like a great stretch of river that I could only get to off their property.

I also made sure to show 'em the bag I had tucked into my fishing vest and let them know that I would pick up any garbage I found along the river bank. I really think stuff like that fosters good will and shows you will respect their property.

Private property is something you'll have to learn to deal with. Its part of fishing in southern ontario. Try asking a land owner for access. Approach them nicely offer to bring out any garbage you find, and for me I always stress that I practice catch and release. I have an anglers card(kinda like a business card) that I got made up years ago. Im sure it would be even easier now with a computer and a printer to do it yourself. On the card are my name, my phone number, my address, the conservation groups I am a member of, and my fishing practices and beliefs. I respectfully approach the property long before I go to fish it, dress conservatively and explain my purpose for being there. If the owner is willing I make an appointment to come and fish the property that is suitable for him. If he is unwilling I thank him for his time and move on. I have cultivated access to many stretches of private water this way. Again I stress dont show up in your waders, pole in hand. A lot of these owners cant stand fisherman on their property because of past poaching/tresspassing incidents. The forethought and care of my approach seems to ease their fears of yahoo's being on their property.

Private property is something you'll have to learn to deal with. Its part of fishing in southern ontario. Try asking a land owner for access. Approach them nicely offer to bring out any garbage you find, and for me I always stress that I practice catch and release. I have an anglers card(kinda like a business card) that I got made up years ago. Im sure it would be even easier now with a computer and a printer to do it yourself. On the card are my name, my phone number, my address, the conservation groups I am a member of, and my fishing practices and beliefs. I respectfully approach the property long before I go to fish it, dress conservatively and explain my purpose for being there. If the owner is willing I make an appointment to come and fish the property that is suitable for him. If he is unwilling I thank him for his time and move on. I have cultivated access to many stretches of private water this way. Again I stress dont show up in your waders, pole in hand. A lot of these owners cant stand fisherman on their property because of past poaching/tresspassing incidents. The forethought and care of my approach seems to ease their fears of yahoo's being on their property.

Good show.

.. which is not marked on the map ...

For example, I wanna try Whitesville on Duffins Creek ...

but still couldnt figure out how to get down there

Thanks!

You can't find out how to get down to "Whitesville" because it doesn't exist.

Try looking for "Whitevale" instead. ;)