Weedtop Weekend

Reef Runner

Hello all,

Got out on the water for the first time this year, did it ever feel good. This particular lake was shallow and the water level was down about 6-10inches, however, the weeds had not yet choked the lake...giving us a little trolling room, hehe.

Target species: Pike/Walleye.

Fish's diet consisted of the items set out below:

Diet.jpg

.....As our diet's consisted mostly of sunflower seeds.

Here I am testing out the new Abu 6501C3 I picked up over the winter with the insight from the honourable people on this board. Suffice to say, I love the reel and couldn't put it down most of the weekend.

reefrunner.jpg

And my fishing buddy and cousin Addy79.

addy79.jpg

With the cold water, the pike were finicky. We enticed them mostly with spinners and xraps. Nothing really big, on average about 24inches, with a total of 7 pike caught between us.

hammerhandle.jpg

Spinner.jpg

As we were eager to coax some walleye out of the weed beds, I used some suggestions from a post I put up Friday and dropped 3inch leaches on a jig head into pockets. No walleye, just 4 dinky oos largies. Please don't get your panties in a bunch, the only and quick pic of the average largie I caught. Was released into the drink and swam away vigorously.

OOSBass.jpg

So continuing with the tips I got here, we trolled shallow stickbaits. I used the tiger Rapala J-7 and was on fire for......Crappy!!!

Crappie.jpg

So no walleye ever showed it's yap to us this weekend. All 5 crappie were caught trolling for walleye with small jointed rapalas. As Team 9 has no entries for Crappy yet, Taper, chalk one 9incher up for the good guys...PM to be sent shortly.

Well I got the fishing itch out, gotta hit the books hard for exams. Hope you enjoyed the report and pics came out (or I will be editting soon). Until next time...

Abuc3.jpg

reefrunner

haha!!! That is the first thing I do when I bring a new rod home, take off the plastic!!! lol

You live dangerously my friend...really, my cousin thought it was annoying that I kept the plastic on. Man am I stubborn...and cheap. lol.

You live dangerously my friend...really, my cousin thought it was annoying that I kept the plastic on. Man am I stubborn...and cheap. lol.

It drives me crazy to keep anything like that on... Plastic covers on the rods, clear film on new electronics, the little push tabs on the McDonalds cup lids :) I think I am a bit of OCD with stuff like that.

Good going on the fish Reefrunner. Always nice to get some action on a new lake.

If you want your cork handles to last, take that plastic off them. Water gets in and can't get out. Cork likes to breath. Cork is wood and it can become brittle if it soaks up water and dries too slowly.

Of course, if you never get it wet it doesn't matter. But you're gonna be fishing in the rain sooner or later aren't you?

Yer right pale face. I've been told about getting a ribbing for the plastic on the cork handle. Reason I left it on was this will be my only fishing trip until my exam in mid-June :wallbash: Didn't want to get it wet until the plastic comes off for some musky!!! Anyways glad you like the report.

reefrunner