MANCHESTER UNITED v.z CHELSEA

Anyone catch the game? Amazing game it was, i was at a friends house for school project and we were all watching it, nervous like never before, I've never seen so many 14 year olds crowded around a t.v for soccer your thoughts on the game? :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

IT AIN'T HOCKEY!

JF

Having no appreciation of the skill, pace and stamina involved in playing soccer does not necessitate belittling the sport. This is in keeping with why many people in the rest of the world perceive North Americans as being deluded to their own self-importance. The fact that more people tune into the World Cup finals than any other sporting event should be suggestive of the regard for soccer in world sport.

Edited by WalleyeMD

Littleangler, good to see that 'football' is so popular here. It was a good game, the penalty shootouts are always tense. Being from England i would not have missed it for the world. I'm a bit upset that England were not good enough for the European Championships this summer...oh well only another 2 years till the World cup!!!

What a redneck reply. Having no appreciation of the skill, pace and stamina involved in playing soccer does not necessitate belittling the sport. This is in keeping with why many people in the rest of the world perceive North Americans as being deluded to their own self-importance. The fact that more people tune into the World Cup finals than any other sporting event should be suggestive of the regard for soccer in world sport.

RIGHT ON MANCHESTER UNITED FOR THE WIN! :clapping:

What a redneck reply. Having no appreciation of the skill, pace and stamina involved in playing soccer does not necessitate belittling the sport. This is in keeping with why many people in the rest of the world perceive North Americans as being deluded to their own self-importance. The fact that more people tune into the World Cup finals than any other sporting event should be suggestive of the regard for soccer in world sport.

Wow! I'm pretty sure he was just stating his opinion and having a little fun. No need to take offence and OFFEND HIM at the same time. I'm not sure how you get "belittling the sport" from "It ain't hockey"

GO FISHING!

Yeah, it takes massive amounts of skill and practice at diving. :w00t: and no , it's not hockey.

If that's you in the avatar, I'll make the presumption that you do not practice either sport. Cheating exists in every sport; making generalizations/stereotypes like that based on the behavior of a minority is akin to making the generalization that all North Americans are uncultured rednecks.

If that's you in the avatar, I'll make the presumption that you do not practice either sport. Cheating exists in every sport; making generalizations/stereotypes like that based on the behavior of a minority is akin to making the generalization that all North Americans are uncultured rednecks.

So you get these so called super stars who dive and have a so called injury where they are carried off in a stretcher and then 5 minutes later they are miraculously healed and running again like nothing happened to them. I don't make generalizations on them as it's seen on tv. It's almost like wrestling minus the choreography, and yes I do play hockey, the toughest sport known.

It's how you choose to look at it. Some call it cheating/diving, others call it gamesmanship. In my opinion, if it's within the rules of the game, then it's gamesmanship and it's up to the officials to enforce the laws (i.e. booking a player for simulation to gain an advantage). Otherwise, I see no difference between that and some of the gamesmanship that you see in other sports. If you watched the Spurs/Suns play-off series (or do you not watch basketball either, because IT AIN'T HOCKEY?) then you will have noted the Spur's strategy to foul Shaq OFF THE BALL at the end of each quarter because the rules stipulate that the player fouled has to take the free throw. Tell me that that is not unsportsman-like behavior done to gain an advantage. Yet, it's within the rules of the game, therefore it's legal. Is it proper sportsmanship? That's for you to decide. But keep in mind the win-at-all cost mentality in top-level professional sports that's the cause of these Machiavellian acts. Don't tell me that when a player goes in full throttle to check an opponent in hockey, it's without the intention of causing him some physical harm to gain an advantage for his team. Yet in your perspective that is considered manly. And based on what objective evidence do you claim that hockey is "the toughest sport known"?

Wow! I'm pretty sure he was just stating his opinion and having a little fun. No need to take offence and OFFEND HIM at the same time. I'm not sure how you get "belittling the sport" from "It ain't hockey"

GO FISHING!

Yeah. Thanks Dan. I guess soccer players are a tad more sensitive than us redneck hockey fans. :whistling:

Fact is, I'm pretty impressed with the stamina and atleticism of those little soccer dudes. I even like to watch it when World Cup or Olympics is on tv. When my kids were young I tried to get them to play soccer in the summer. I figured it would be great training for hockey. But they preferred baseball.

In any case, I apologize if it sounded like I was knocking soccer. I won't joke about the serious things in life any more.

JF