Drop shot experts

bassjnkie

I have a bass pond and would love to try dropshoting. What do I need, weight size, hook size, etc...? Proper setup(pond is 5 feet deep and 12ft in the middle? Can I cast it out or can I only just drop it down? I know you got a fish it on a tight line and twitch a bit. If there is something I missed just let me know.

Thank you,

Daniel

You can buy drop shot kits at most tackle shops tht include the hooks, weights, and prolly an assortment of plastic bodies. The stand out hook is very popular with drop shotting, but drop shotting is typically used for deep water fishin' (20' or more). There is however a technique called Bubba (I kid you not) shotting, where a shorter dropped from the hook to the weight is used (usually 12" or less). This rig is cast out and retrieved as opposed to fishin' straight down and drifting in deeper water.

the stand out hook:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...k&noImage=0

drop shot kit:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

The dropshot rig, one of my favorites.... its just a different way to present a bait! Yes you can use small circle hooks and finesse baits on spinning tackle which is what most people think of when they hear dropshotting..... or you can even use big baits rigged weedless on big hooks (3/0-5/0 worm hooks) with big weights(1/2oz-1oz) and a beefy rod. I really like fishing this rig in the weeds. I like to use the bigger, heavier drop shots when I'm fishing for largies. Some days a 3 inch finesse bait might be really good, but a lot of the time I find the largies like a 4-5inch craw or creature bait on a dropshot. all depends on the situation, type of fish,ect.

Yea you can definately cast it out and slowly drag it back in feeling the bottom and shaking it. I even give it a pop every now and again.

It's just a different way to present a bait!! Don't forget it!...I hear people use dropshot rigs for everything for crappie to Lake trout. Not just for smallies!

One of you smart musky guys...Lew... should figure out a way to make a musky drop shot..might be really effective or maybe just the next marketing scheme lol :whistling::D

-Ben