portable fish finder when between boats

sconceptor

Hey,

My Lowarance is falling apart, with buttons falling out, thus not being able to use many functions. It's about 6years old.

I'm thinking this boat I have now will only be with me for another year or 2.

I need a new fish finder, and think a portable one would be a good option. I could use it ice fishing, in other boats, or maybe even on the bow of my friends large boats. Then with a newer larger boat for myself, I could maybe rig it up to be at the bow.

I was thinking of the Hummingbird 565 portable from Crappie Tire. Does anybody have 2cents about this unit or any other portable units?

Thanks!!!!

I have the Hummiongbird 535 Portable for my Lighting Rod, when going from boat to boat. Although not color, its still great for what i need it for. I use it for Depth and thats pretty much it, i dont use it to find my fish, i prefer to figure that out on my own. If you are wanting something with color and higher features then go with one of the new Lowarance units, as I have heard they are pretty decent.

Mine was purchased from CTC as well and I have had no problems. Battery life is about 10 Days running 12 Hours a day straight. I couldnt be more happy with mine.

Thanks guys.......It's just what I needed to hear. I've got a few hundred in CT gift cards so I will put it to good use...........

Next will be a new battery I think since I don't store mine well in the winter......small apartment with poor storage space, means my batteries went into cold storage.... I just bought the Nautalis battery charger, so I'll see how they charge pretty soon.....

Motor needs tune up, trailer bearing went and broke the hub, need a new fish finder, probably need new batteries.........Hope the Super 7 on Friday comes through.........

LOLOLOLOL......i did not store my stuff well either, the batteries in the garage from last november, we had weeks of -40 celcius this winter, so may need new batteries, i got the nautilus battery charger from crappie tire last year, very good and does the job, but keep the reciept cuz the first one stopped working and got a replacement. I also am fitting a new fish finder, my bearings will need to be sorted on the trailer as soon as the boat is in the water, but that wont happen till the motor comes back from the garage ...the B#$%%@%s have had it for 3 weeks now. Seems like we are in similar position here Sconceptor!!!

Once you have a mounted depth finder like you already have you might find a portable to be a pain in the butt. Keeping the transducer mounted especially with a suction cup can be VERY challenging at any higher speeds above trolling. Also if you plan on using it on the ice you will have to get a good power supply because dry cell batteries don't last long at all on the ice, when I tried mine it wasn't even 1 hour with two 6 volt dry cell batteries. I had to get a small motorcycle battery to keep the thing working for a day on the ice. Just something to think about before you dive in head first on a portable unit.

Bob