Recommendations!!

hoops12

Hello,

Since we didn't have much luck at the Moon River on the long weekend, only catching 6 pike in the two days, i still have the itch to catch a few more fish. Can you guys recommend a spot with in 2 hours of Brantford that i can fish for pike and walleye that have good numbers. I don't own a boat so rentals near by is a must, and I'm leaning towards a smaller lake.

Would Little Lake in Barrie be an option?

Thanks in advance for you recommendations, it's greatly appreciated.

Little lake in Barrie, last time I went was about two years back, was not too good for fishing. Only caught 1 pike all day, expensive boat rentals and black fly heaven. bent over to see the bottom and lost a pair of $300 glasses right off my nose into the drink :wallbash: Better to drive into the kawarthas if you can.

reefrunner

There aren't any Pike to-speak-of in the Kawarthas. That's Musky country. If you get north of Apsley on Hwy #28, toward Bancroft you will find Pike in most of the lakes. Rentals might be a little tough to find this early in the season...but...if you're coming this way PM me and I will find you a boat on the lake you're interested in.

Garry2R's.

I have good luck with pike in little lake ... most only average a couple pounds but are fun to catch ... I'v never had any problem getting a dozen or so in a couple hours in the evening .. There are also walleye in there, I have never caught any but i have seen people catch them ..

There aren't any Pike to-speak-of in the Kawarthas. That's Musky country. If you get north of Apsley on Hwy #28, toward Bancroft you will find Pike in most of the lakes. Rentals might be a little tough to find this early in the season...but...if you're coming this way PM me and I will find you a boat on the lake you're interested in.

Garry2R's.

Give Canal Lake a try Garry, you'll find plenty of pike in there...heard they're squeking into Balsam to, bad news for the musky fishery. I did mean to try the Kawarthas for pickereyes, just because Bancroft might be too far out of the way from Brantford. Great area past Apsley, hopefully the gentleman will take you up on your suggestion, I always hold your advice in high regard.

Little Lake is great for small hammer handles. they'll bite anything. look in the shallow weeds as well as weed edges. in the deep water, i've caught a couple 5 lbs-ers. boat rentals are not expensive when compared to other places. they are very reasonable (around 50 for the day i think) and for launching it's only 6 bucks. it's also a pretty decent bass and crappie lake. in fishing there over ten years, i've only caught two walleye, both unintentionally. the guys at cedar park are great. they helped us hold a private fishing tournament as well.

Little Lake is great for small hammer handles. they'll bite anything. look in the shallow weeds as well as weed edges. in the deep water, i've caught a couple 5 lbs-ers. boat rentals are not expensive when compared to other places. they are very reasonable (around 50 for the day i think) and for launching it's only 6 bucks. it's also a pretty decent bass and crappie lake. in fishing there over ten years, i've only caught two walleye, both unintentionally. the guys at cedar park are great. they helped us hold a private fishing tournament as well.

No way!!! i got charged $75.00 for a half-day (can't remember the rental outfitter now, sots). I was with my GF and was the only place close enough she'd agree to. Perhaps the desk could smell the desperation and equated it with $$$. I used to fish there with my pops when I was a kid, fond memories. When I went back I was more than disappointed. Just my experience though, seems like others here had better luck than I.

you might be right about the rental prices...i haven't rented since i got my own a few years ago and then i rented pretty much on weekdays which i believe are cheaper. but you know how they do it, they'll charge like 15 bucks an hour, encouraging you to rent for the whole day...they do rent pontoons for about 90-100 a day that can hold 8 people. but anyway, $75 seems like a lot of cash for a half day.

also, i know there are two marinas...one (cedar park) has the red painted pontoons, and the other one, further down the road has blue pontoons. i've never rented from that one.

You are only 1 hr from Long Point and the pike and perch fishing is still pretty good in the Inner Bay. Some rental outfits there as well.

Just remember that the outer half of the bay (as you head out to the lake) is closed from now until Bass opener but still lots of good water to fish back towards Port Rowan and the causeway.

Weekend looks great for being out there too, low winds should make it nice and flat.