what to get? trolling motor

GBW

hey all.

I see that BPS has a few minn-kota's for sale but I'm not sure what one to get. I have a 14' aluminum boat and the height of the transon is 15" tall. I do not have a good area for a bow mounted unit so I have to mount on the transom.

So the questions are:

what shaft length is needed (yeah I see you all LOL right now as you read it... ;)) for this boat?

what about of # of LB should I be looking at?

Minn-Kota, MotorGuide or the BPS Prowler for brand?

Thanks all.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff W

I would recommend a Minn-Kota 55 lb thrust for a 14' boat.

As for the shaft length...you want it to be a good foot to foot and a half into the water, so it doesnt pop out if the water is rough and your boat is going up and down.

I have the Minn-Kota Maxximum 65 lb for my 16' boat, which has tons of moving power.

Def stick with Minn-Kota though.

Stoty and I agree on something for once. :)

Definitely go with as much power as you can afford. My uncle picked up a 50lbs Minn Kota Endura transom mount on Friday. BPS had a sale on certain models and there is a rebate from Minn Kota. At first we thought 50lbs would be too much for a 12' tin can...but boy once we got out there to test it, he was glad to have gotten 50lbs especially with two guys in the boat.

I've used a 30 and a 36 lbs on my heavy 14' boat (see my avatar). The 30 was too little, but the 36 lbs is just right. At WOT I got 8-10 kmh. The lowest setting was as slow as I'd want to troll.

I should also say that I don't believe in the "get the most power you can afford" theory. I say get the best motor you can afford. The MinnKota Maxxum is worth the money over the Endura. I own an Endura and use a Maxxum at work. Using the Maxxum makes me hate my motor.

Edited by boatman

I've got a 45lb Minn Kota on my 14 footer and it's more than enough power. As for brand I'd stick with Minn Kota or Motorguide. Everyone will debate which one so I'd go with the better priced one which I believe is Minn Kota. ( Got a motorguide wireless and Minn Kota and love them both)

Edited by Dan Bouck

thanks all for the feedback. now I just need to break it to my wife about my why I need to spend more money... LOL

is it worth it to look at used or don't bother due to the sale and rebate prices going on now?

You can usually get a good deal on a used one. Hell I got mine used from Danbo and havn't had any issues!

must be that from one Dan to another good luck. SOOOO, any Geoff's out there with a Minn Kota for sale, LOL!!!

I just wanted to say Thanks to Nanook (Jack)!!! I picked up a Minn Kota 35lbs thrust w/36" shaft from him over the weekend. Not only was/is he a very easy person to do a transaction with but a hell of a nice guy. Thanks for the Digital Maximizer too, it was a pleasant surprise! It was MY pleasure talking to you over a coffee, thanks again!