Fishing tomorrow in Oakville

Mattones

Tomorrow I have the day off and am thinking of going up to Oakville's boat launch area as they have a nice long dock. Was there tonight fishing and saw a big carp swimming below me.

I was wondering if anyone has fished there? Also what they have you caught or have heard people catching down there?

I got myself some waders the other day and may head to Bronte first thing in the morning.

Fished it once but i got skunked

I only saw a 20-30 inch Carp that swam right by the girlfriends lure. other then that nothing happend for the entire time I was there.

I'm still looking for new spots to fish. Bronte seems pretty dull along HWY5.

Was down at Oakville today and saw two guys catch 3 large sheepheads. they tossed them all back in. Are they not in season?

All I caught was a gobey :( But hey! FIRST FISH of 08! haha

Sheepshead (also called drum) are considered a trash fish that isn't good for eating. They do give a nice little fight when nothing else is biting, but there are better fish to catch.

Pier 4 in Hamilton & LaSalle in Burlington also have a mess of them in. I'm guessing it's their spawning season, I'm catching them everywhere trying to find a decent pike! :D

They do like baits you pause on the retrieve instead of a steady rhythm. X-Raps, Husky Jerks & other stickbaits, reel with a jerk-pause and you'll hook a few.

May_06Pike008.jpg

Sheephead (Freshwater Drum)are excellent tasting fish. They taste like ocean fish since they are a close relative of Redfish (Red Drum) as well as Black and Stripped Drum as found in the ocean. They fight as well or better than Bass or Pike and they can get huge (my best was about 15lb and I've seen 20lb. I believe the biggest caught in Canada was about 30lb and was caught in Manitoba). If you eat them be aware that large ones are in the not to be consumed at all catagory in the eating guide and if you do get some small ones be sure to get a fair number of them as the fish is boney and has red flesh along the lateral line that must be trimmed out before eating. There are lots in Hamilton Harbour but i would not be eating ANY of those fish at any size. this time of year Steelhead are the choice of anglers in Oakville but it's either floatfishing or lake trolling to get them.

im still wandering around bronte chucking spoons and inline spinners looking for some pike.

still no luck...anyone wanna tell me im wasting time? or should i keep on truckin lookin for some pike down there

if theres none there, anywhere close hold them?

i will second the fact that sheephead can be good eating, never ate one over 4lbs, but snidley is correct, they have a different texture to the meat, but are quite good when cooked, slightly boney but not really any worse than a bass. try one sometime, deep fry in fish crisp and it will taste fine.

jason