toronto harbour licence

workwear

im planning to take the family out this year along the harbour front and the islands....and was told i need to get ANOTHER licence.....looked into the port authority...and have all nubers...was wondering if anyone else on here has one and how hard is this test and cost of.....thxs

peter

Peter,

Contact the Toronto Police Services Marine Unit, I believe they still test and issue the harbour licences. I got my license in the 80's and I believe it was just a simple test based on the handbook issued by the Federal Gov't.

It could have changed by now, but the coppers at the unit will give you all the assistance you need.

Good luck

John

go down to the port authority pay your initiation fee they will give you study materials and book you a date for the test write the test they put you in a boat do some manuvering and all goes well you will have your license

some on will say you dont need it others will say they havent got it and been stopped and let go

i depends what mood they could be in THE FINES ARE STEEP!!!!!!

I got my licence two years ago, after I was asked for it during a standard boat safety check by the OPP officer at the Ashridges Bay boat launch. I didn't get a fine at the time but I was told that I would if the next time I got checked I didn't have it. Ever since I got it, I never got checked again, lol. Anyhow, its cheaper than any fine, easy, and you get to put around for 10 minutes in a 12' tinner for the practical part.

I got mine so long ago, they give you the study material than you went down to the marine unit and took the test . I will recommend you get one , they can see the whole harbor from their tower at the foot of spandina , and as soon as you enter the harbor you will be watched , and if you dont look like you know what your doing (ie speed -slow and slower NEVER go faster than a trol or they will be right on you , they have a very fast boat , cutting off the farie , going any where near the farie will get you big trouble , and THE BLOW BOATS -never understood a boat you had to blow on to get it to move AHHHH - they treat the islands and inner harbor as if its theirs -maybe because it is ??? - they will report you for just about anything , There are lots of rules about boating in harbors and you will have to know about bouys -colors and shapes and what each ones mean etc. , right of ways , speed limits, safty things I cant rember it all , its a good test for all boaters .

Do you need another license to put a boat in and drive in TO Harbour? So i cant just drop a boat in and fish the islands? I am confused. Help me out here.

That is correct you need this Toronto Harbour license for operation of a boat from Ashbridges Bay to

the Humber River area apparently.

With the price of gas making a drive to go fishing fairly expensive

i might fork out for this and then explore Toronto waterfront waters, with no worries.

ehg