10 HP Johnson Seahorse HELP

nancur373

If it works that is a good deal... but be sure to check the compression and the lower end... my bet is it would be difficult to find seals (??) if it does leak... also what shape is the impeller in? can you get a new one?

But for 150.00 if a lasts a year or two you're ahead I figure..

Just be sure to have paddles or a radio incase of failure to be safe

My bet would be late 60's, early 70's?

Bernie might have a better idea when he sees this post... but it will be had to nail down the year without the model & serial..

G

Edited by Gerritt

I could be wrong, but IMHO I think your taking quite a chance on buying a motor that's probably close to 40 years old.

Personally, I'd save the $150 myself and wait till you can afford something that would probably be more reliable.......just my opinion though.

1959 Johnson QD-20 10 hp.

It is a great motor. $150 is reasonable if it runs well. Don't be scared by these old motors. I have dozens of motors older than this one and they run beautifully. Lots of torque and power. It'll push you around 20 mph.

All consumable parts are still available and relatively cheap. The lower unit will likely need to be re-sealed. The kit is about $30. The impeller is $20-30. Check the coils before you buy it. If they are origninal they MUST be replaced even if they spark well. New coils are about $20 each aftermarket or $35 each from your dealer. If you have to completely tune-up the motor it will cost you $150-200 in parts. However, it will be an incredibly good running and reliable motor.

PS. Don't pay $150 unless you see it run.

Edited by boatman