Lake Temiskaming walleye

walleyebob

I'm going to Lake Temiskaming for the long weekend and was hoping to get into some pickerel . Never been there this time of year and was wondering where they are and what to use ( ie. worms , minnows or downrig with lures). I'm going to to be staying near the narrows on the southern end of the lake any help would be appreciated.

I fished Temiskaming opener for quite a few years, however always at the north end (New Liskeard area). Depending on the weather, the fish were quite often in the feeder rivers (Wabi, Blanche etc.) or shallow near the river mouths. A bit of experimenting and you should be able to find them fairly shallow.

Spinners slow trolled with a worm work well, harnesses in the same fashion. White/yellow twisters and even a plain old minnow still fished would produce. The fish seem to move into smaller bays and shallow shoals in the evening which we found was the best time for fishing.

The water in Temiskaming can be pretty stained so daytime fishing can be alright as well.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

PS are you staying on the Ontario or Quebec side of the Lac

Cheers

Craig

Excellent choice. The narrows offer great fishing opportunities.. You won't need to venture very far from the lodge to find them.

This time of year, I've found that long ligning rapalas and worm harnesses work well. If the water temp is still in the lows, try fishing emerald shinners or chubs with pickeral rigs right off bottom. The lodge will no doubt carry a surplus of these. If the water warms up, try working crank-baits in the 4-10f range. Try to vary the speed of your retrieve, depending on how active the fish are.

The water on this side of the lake tends to be a bit clearer than the main body of water, so the fishing might slow down during mid day, but first and last light on the water should be golden!

We used to stay at Camp Brisson when I was a wee lad, just off Old Mission Road I think... I remember having to go deeper during the height of the summer for the eyes, but this time of year, you'll be finding them shallow.

Good luck! and we want pictures!

HD

• 4 years later...

I'm going to Lake Temiskaming for the long weekend and was hoping to get into some pickerel . Never been there this time of year and was wondering where they are and what to use ( ie. worms , minnows or downrig with lures). I'm going to to be staying near the narrows on the southern end of the lake any help would be appreciated.

Heading up in September this year just wondering what you found works staying south end 16 miles from kipawa cut off Quebec side. I was there last year for family trip not much fishing but where I was the lake was pretty deep 100 ft plus in some spots

this is the yearly fishing trip with pops and couple others so we will be seriously fishing any advice welcome

Edited by Pipefighter

• 2 weeks later...