Steelhead Report

tibbs

Hello,

I went out steelheading today to try my new equipment out and it was a nice day to be fishing.

Anyways i went to one pool and i must have saw 15 fish that all weighed over 12 lbs and i was shocked because

everyone here says there is no point to go anymore. :w00t:

I tried everything in my arsenal from jigs, worms, and roe but non of them took it. :wallbash:

I'm just wondering what i should do? :dunno:

Thanks,

Tibbs :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by tibbs

i was shocked because

everyone here says there is no point to go anymore.

Really puts things into perspective doesn't it?

Anyways, a) If you could see them, they could see you. B) They may have just finished spawing and are in recovery mode. c) get a book(s) on steelheading and read read read.

For now, go out and fish. :Gonefishing: The internet is over rated.

Various things you can do.

As Verminator mentioned, a stealthy approach to the pool is imperative. Crashing through the bush and noisy wading can put fish off the bite and into the deepest logjams.

You can try downsizing tackle and bait provided that there is enough room to play fish away from snags. Changing up to 4lb leaders, size 14 hooks and micro roe bags (3-5 trout eggs per bag) and flies work wonders in pressured sitations.

Hook up with someone more experienced than you - Even after years of fishing, I still do this for unfamiliar waters and when learning new techniques. They might be able to teach you things like how to make a drag free drift, where, when and how to use certain techniques (like spinners, bottom bouncing, fly fishing, float fishing, etc). I've been fortunate over my life to meet some of Ontario's finest steelheaders who have spent decades perfecting various techniques all over this province. Most of what I know today was passed on to me from other anglers I met on the bank who were nice enough to take the time and show me what I could be doing better. Step back and watch what others are doing...Really speeds up the learning curve.

There are fish still in the rivers no doubt. I've been fishing quite a bit the last few weeks and have been getting into fish each trip. Some river stretches have been devoid of fish for the last 3 weeks while others still see dropbacks cruising about. Each river is different.

Good luck

i was in a similar situation this weekend on Saturday afternoon in blazing sun with about 3' of clarity on the water....

the hole is only about 8 deep i nthe middle with sloping edges.

switched over to a "wooly bugger" tiny little jig(fly?) and WHAMOO ! FISH ON !

I also caught two on friday night between 1am amd 2 am.

YA I GOT OUT FOR A FEW HRS TODAY AND WATERS WERE CLEAR!!! I HAD ABOUT 200 FISH SITTING RIGHT INFRONT OF ME!!! THE PROB IS THEY WERE ALL 6" UNDER THE SURFACE!!! ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH!!! THEY SEE THE FLOAT AND MOVE RIGHT OUT OF THE WAY!!!

THEY WERE FEEDING ON SOMETHING ON THE SURFACE SO I MAY INVEST INTO A FLY ROD!!!

I stopped steelheading last year when I'd see them just move out of the way....too maddening....LOL.

I may have a trip or two left before they shoot out to the lake.

Good on your for trying....you may just figure out what it takes to catch them when they are like this!