Fish Finder Wiring Questions

Dutch

Picked up a couple of new finders to upgrade out dated equipment, now for the wiring....

I would like to do some kind of terminal off the battery at the back of the boat with a positive and a negative post. I would run wires from the battery to the terminal with an in-line fuse, then I would run the wires from the finders and hook up with eyes to the posts on the new terminal. Anyone know where I could get something like this?

Should I bother, or should I just run the wires directly to the battery terminals?

Also, I need to lengthen the power wires. Where can I get wire to do this? They have automotive wire at CTC, but only in single wire and I would need double. The instructions call for 18 guage multi strand copper wire. I have some 18 guage speaker wire sitting around, but I don't think that's the way to go...haha.

Any other helpful hints are appreciated.

Edited by Dutch

Guest skeeter99

you can pony power from anywhere in your dash etc

I personally ran the wires directly to the battery

just as long as you got 12 volts to it and ground you are good

just get a pack of ring terminals and put on battery posts, the speaker wire would work since the fish finder hardly draws any current, but I would get some higher quality wire in the recomended guage

princess auto/canadian tire/wal mart/home depot carry all of the supplies you would need

Edited by skeeter99

Just make sure you run the fuse on the positive side of things :)

I am going to re-wire my dad's boat tomorrow. Not a huge deal, but someone made a awful mess of it (Wired each device to the battery, no need for that at all)