How Much Marabou ?

GbayGiant

I want to make some thick fluffy marabou spinners/bucktails, from all the websites I found most of them sell 1/4oz or 1/2oz packs of strung marabou. I have no idea how much I would need to make something like a big bootail, mojo ect..... they look like they have a 1/2oz on one lure, but it is light material ?

How much do you think it would take to make something similar to this picture.

gallery_322_145_2365.jpg

Does anyone know of any marabou/bucktail/feather suppliers in Ontario ?

The large mariboo's are incredible musky lures that catch alot of fish and if tied correctly, can also take alot of punishment before needing to be retired. I've been using them for a few years now and have always got at least one rod rigged up with a boo and ready to go at all times.

I always buy mine rather than make them so I can't help you, but musky-man, brick n block & Robin from this board all make excellent musky boo baits and could probably tell you where to purchase the material......perhaps luremaking.com ??

The ones I find best are about the size of a cantalope when dry.

Not sure how familiar you are with these baits, but they are incredibly bouyant so you'll need to experiment abit with the weights to get them to work properly. I've got a couple that are totally weightless, and once they get saturated, they run just under the surface and are excellent baits for bulging over top of the high cabbage, specially with twin blades. I find they work best when run a couple feet above the weed tops or rocks, so, depending on the height of the weeds, it's nice to have a variety of weights. I even clip bell weights onto some to get them down deeper when neccesary.

I've also always found yellow with brass blades to be the best producer but that's just a personal opinion.

I've probably got at least twice as many now since this picture was taken and will be requiring a much large box next season. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck with them and I'd luv to see the photos of your finished project.

Cnv1608.jpg

Edited by lew

Lew, that box of baits always looks so exotic, I need one... :D I have made a couple bucktails in the past, but have no double blades or big marabous. Like you said I'll have to make some different weights, styles, I know what you mean sometimes you need the perfect combination. I'll be sure to post a pic of a nice yellow/brass combo for ya whenever I get all the parts.

Thanks Mark, I have ordered lot's of parts from Luremaking in the past for other things but I keep finding myself going back to Stamina.com in the US they seem to be 1 step ahead with bigger selection cheaper prices, ect.... I always try to give Canada the buisiness but sometimes it's hard.

Mark, how much marabou do you think is on a big fluffy bait ? I'm just trying to find out how much I need, because they sell 1/4oz packs at luremaking for like $2.99 and 1/2oz packs at Stamina for $2.99 but if it takes 2 or three packs for 1 lure it might not be worth it. :dunno: It seems like they cator to the guys tying little flys and jiggs because you could tie a thousand with a small ammount.

P.S. Where did the spell check go ? I haven't had it for days. :( and I'm a bad spellzer. :)