Simcoe And Scugog Report Dec 31

wuchikubo

Hi all,

Since I only got a couple of replies and none of them mentioned any conditions on the area, I headed out to a spot on the PR where Ron mentioned. My friend John and I made it up there around 6 am Dec 31st and low and behold there was about 3" of ice (should have brought my auger :blink: ) at the marina. Under the bridge at the PR off 48 there was about 1". Needless to say we didn't bother with trying to get the lines wet! :blush:

Since I had to be back home by 10am we decided not to go to Barrie. :glare:

So we decided to drive over to the BOG to check the conditions on a couple of spots. River street public launch had the same (about 3" ice, could stand on the ice but it showed some give). Headed to island road to the very end, around shore it was about 3" of ice but further out (towards the middle) there was open water.

If only it stays cold for a couple of weeks, it may become safer for the ice. :dunno:

Safe fishing and again Happy New Year!

Stan

By the looks of the Port Perry weather forecast for the next couple of weeks it looks like there is not going to be any SAFE ice for some time, i tend to be overly cautious when it comes to walking on the ice i like 7-8 inches of "blue ice" not 5 inches of soft "white ice". I would like to die of natural causes and not a hypothermia induced coma.

Play safe!

Is it possible to get a boat in at the end of the island?

There was a large pothole that I decided not to attempt with a FWD car, looked deep and large enough to sit my car at least 1/2 way up the car.

Ground was very uneven. Take care if you're gonna give it a try, make sure you go with another person.

HF

Is it possible to get a boat in at the end of the island?

I just got back from the launch. You can still drive in. The 91 Aerostar made it, as well as the neighbours Caravan. There are a couple potholes that take up the whole road, but they aren't too deep. Stick to the sides and you are fine. The ice was out probably 50 feet or more, but didnt look very thick at all. Then all open water. Depending on what kind of boat you have it may be doable with some waders and a spud to break up the ice at the launch. I wasnt doing any fishing, just run the dogs up there.

Ya...I was there today as well. I can't launch my boat at the end of the island.....there's no way.

That ice is pretty thick right there.......I couldn't get a big rock to go thru it anyways.....lol.

Your van's were there when I pulled in I believe.

I'm gonna hit simcoe instead.

Sinker