Outboard Question?

DanTheMan

Well, this may sound like a weird question, but I change the oil in my foot of my 3hp johson today that I bought last year, it seems to me, that there was allot more oil in foot when I drain it, then I put in.It didnt take much to fill it either.Also, oil did not start draining from top vent hole when I filled it from botttom, it just took a little bit, and started to flow out the bottom on only.Is there something wrong? could it be plug up or something?

Thanks for your help

I did exactly what was said here

Quote"

On one side of the lower unit there are 2 screws. The drain screw is on the bottom of the front of the gearcase. The vent screw is near the top of the lower unit.

Trim the motor all the way down. Place something under the lower unit to catch the oil. Remove the drain screw then remove the vent screw and let all the oil run out.

Check the oil coming out for any type of metal chunks or large shavings. If the drain screw has a magnet on it it is normal to see some small metal shavings.

After all the oil has drained out screw the tube of oil or oil pump hose, whichever you have, into the drain hole. Fill the lower unit with oil until it comes out of the vent hole.

Next put the vent screw back in making sure the on the screw is in good shape. If not, replace the seal. Then unscrew the oil tube or pump hose and quickly put the drain screw back in. Again, before putting the drain screw back in check the seal.

Edzakery !!! Problem with the squeeze bottle is trying to collapse it enough to get the oil out and into the lower unit. I used to do it that way for years... 'till this year as matter of fact... but bought the $5 pump that screws in the bottle now and that's the cats meow.

Same here Wayne... picked it up @ princess auto :) it is the cats arse!

G

Me too G.. found the standard thread threaded fitting fit my Verado perfect, but they were both too large for my kicker. No problem... the metric thread fitting screwed perfectly onto a plastic tapered pool toy inflator that came with one of those road side emergency compressors. Stuck it in the hole and pumped in the oil... worked perfect.