Spinnerbait HELP

MCTFisher9120

You are going to want a rod with a soft tip but lots of back bone. A baitcaster is ideal because of the high speed retrieve but you could use spinning gear. As for line, you can use mono, 14lb-17lb test, or braid. I like mono because then this rod can double for topwater and for topwater you want mono so the line doesn't affect the action of the lure. Get a good quality mono that has low memory if you go with a baitcaster, well regardless of which reel you have you want a high quality line but especially for a baitcaster because if not it will backlash like crazy.

I just use them to quickly cover water, if I get a bump, I throw in a dinger/senko/stick-o and that usally works. I use a baitcaster set up 6'6" med-heavy and braid. Remember that all rods are not equal, if it says med-heavy doesn't mean they act the same. You want a little whip from the tip and a backbone that will rip the bass out of cover.

Colour, I stick to white (favorite), dandem blades, silver and gold. Depends where I'm fishing, I like to bulk up the bait with a grub or even a 5" senko, with the tail cut for some extra, action on the hook.

Ideal time, when ever you get a chance!

Daniel

I am pretty comfortable using a spinning or casting reel for them, heavier cover usually makes the casting reel and heavier line the first choice. LOL My biggest walleye came on one slow rolled down a semi weedy point on the Georgian bay. Like musky or specks mentioned letting them helicopter down and sit for a few seconds before starting your retrieve can also work. They make some designed for this called a short arm spinnerbait.

Depends on when and where. I have been using the G-loomis series spinnerbait rods and love them. I will throw a spinnerbait in shallow or deep water. Spinnerbaits will cover water real quick. I usually use them for open water smallies or largies on deep weed edges. I like the rods with a soft tip and nice backbone but not to stiff and fast action 7 foot or longer for open water. I will use a 6 footer heavier action around heavy weeds or stumps with a heavier braid or mono. I have gotten use to the lighter rods for 1/4 oz spinnerbaits.I call it finesse spinnerbaiting. I also use a very heavy 7'2" rod for heavier spinnerbaits in very deep water. I will slow roll them with a curado 5 or 3 series baitcaster. Depends on the situation. They are sometimes deadly on open deep water weeds. Shimano has some nice Crucials and compres that are the same. Look at the G loomis rods and buy one almost the same in a cheaper line with the same feel.

Edited by smalliefisher

Spinnerbaits, I love em! Definitely one of my favorite baits to fish. I like to use a 7'0 Medium-Heavy Rod, and a high speed Baitcaster (6:1 gear ratio or higher) spooled with either braid or heavy fluorocarbon line. Having no stretch line is key in my opinion. My favorite way to fish a spinnerbait is to make very long casts and fish the bait really fast. No stretch line lets you feel and set the hook on a fish thats at the end of a long cast. When I'm fishing the bait I don't jerk the rod tip or anything I just point my rod towards the bait and reel really fast keeping it a foot or two of water at most. This way bass that are looking up at it wont get a good look at the bait, they'll see the flash and then see the skirt below it. Great way to cover water and find active fish in clear water.

From Bass opener until Fall turnover this seems to work really well. tandem willow leafs in silver for clear days and gold for overcast days is what works for me. Match the skirt to the color of the forage and your in business. Don't get stuck on only throwing 3/8 oz baits, I usually use 1/2 - 1 oz spinnerbaits in warmer, clearer water. A big thing for me was realizing that your not going to catch as many fish per casts as when you use a senko or a slower moving bait but you can make make a ton more casts with the spinnerbait and catch more fish in a given time. Chuck and wind...never stop. Gotta work for those spinnerbait fish!

-Ben